The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pony gets very fizzy when we get into the countryside and becomes very tense and quite naughty. if he thinks he wants to gallop he will either start going sideways and generally not listening to me or he will try to rear. if i continue to hold him, his rears will get bigger and i can no longer hold him so he ends up getting his own way and having a gallop. which i know doesn't help, which is why i need to try something else with him. now, i do love a gallop and he will stop at the end, but i would much prefer it if i was in control of where and when we gallop!! if anyone has any advice as to what to do, i'd greatly appreciate it. he is in a dutch gag, which is what he came with him. anything less than this and i hve no control whatsoever, believe me, i've tried!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
when ever you feel him speed up or tense his body up to go pull him round in a few tight circles and let him walk if he try's his luck again then do the same, also do you go the same way each time you take him out? sometimes a different route can help, my little Connemarra mare gets excited when it comes to going through a certain area while going anywhere else she's as chilled as she can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, i'll try circling next time. i do different routes all the time, altho am restricted to few similar ones. i also give him road hacks now and again to remind him its not all about bombing off!! last summer i cud gallop him in one area one day and walk thru it the next with little or no probs. i downgraded his bit as he was so good and then he tanked off with me. and ever since, despite being back in his original bit, its all there still in his head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.