The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this summer I was hoping to take my horses up to idaho with me to some family property for about a week. This would be a great opportunity for doing trails and getting to ride with some new people, but I'm worried about where the horses will be kept. At our place it is all dry lot at the moment and going up there I don't think there would be anywhere to keep them that isn't pasture. I'm not sure if I should take them because of this or how I should prepare them if I do.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
- find out for sure. No sense worrying if there's no need.

Option 1: take some metal panels or electric tape and a charger (battery if no electricity in your area, electric if you have access to an outlet) and make a small enclosure for them. Practice this ahead of time and get them used to a small amount of grass and this fencing arrangement in your own yard.

Option 2: highline them or tie to your trailer overnight.

Option 3: Grazing muzzles with a very small hole when out at grass, and feed the horses full of hay before you turn them out in the pasture. Again, get the horses used to the muzzles at home to be sure they won't get them off.

Option 4: pen/electric corral AND the muzzles if you're really worried

Depending on where your horses currently live and what type of foliage/climate the Idaho property has, you may not have much to worry about. By late summer, a lot of mountain pasture areas aren't much different than standing dry hay anway....

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
^^^^ Good advice.
Maybe if there are pastures now there might be extra fencing material you could use to enclose a space for them.. The portable electric fence idea is a good one.
Have fun!!!!!!

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I was already thinking about grazing muzzles but I found out theres a lean to I can arrange 12 x 12 stalls under so I can put them in at night and will turn them out during the day with grazing muzzles

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Thanks! I was already thinking about grazing muzzles but I found out theres a lean to I can arrange 12 x 12 stalls under so I can put them in at night and will turn them out during the day with grazing muzzles

Good solution! But I would still do your best to acclimate them to the grass. They still get it with the grazing muzzles on!

They won't want to leave lolol

·
Super Moderator
22,856 Posts
If you're going to lock them up all night, you'll need to provide hay. Unless they're very 'at risk', I'd consider just leaving them sans muzzles over night, when the grass will also be lower sugar. People talk about 'acclimatizing' horses to pasture - I don't believe it's about that at all - after all, hay is just pasture dried out & all horses should be getting that. The issue is whether the grass is too rich/sugary, the risk of IR & laminitis, regardless of how 'used to it' they may be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts