The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pity we couldn't stay longer but my eldest, Darcy & I chucked the swags in the car, horses in the trailer the other day & headed to Barmah NP, on the Murray River for a couple of days before xmas. Glorious!

Trail riding through open Redgum forest, Barmah Lake to swim in with the horses, stockyards(only been a NP for 10 years) to secure the horses & camp at, brumbies to watch - tho only managed some blurry pics of a snorty stallion. And even enough grass, including in the stockyard complex, and reeds at the lake that we hardly had to feed any hay!

Love swagging it(real Aussie verb, honest! :p ), being able to watch the stars from bed, watch brumbies come to check out our horses at the yards without realising we were there, wake at '********* daylight', listen to the dawn chorus, watch the sunrise from bed... well, we were actually already up & about to head off on a ride by sunrise.

Without further ado, here are some pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! You guys obviously all have dirty minds! A swag is a 'bedroll'(Yeah Rambo, named from the days of 'swagmen' who used to roam the country carrying their belongings). My first swag was just effectively a thin mattress wrapped in canvas. These days they're a bit more... la-di-da ~ good mattress, mozzie net, bendy poles to keep it off you. Attaching a pic of your typical modern luxury swag...

No, HLG, thankfully been no (major) fires near us yet, or near Barmah. Tho glad the sky cleared - it was really smoky from the fires in NSW on the way up there. And the other pics I'm attaching are the normal view of the mountain from home(with horses at back door) and the view the other day - if that much smoke blew down here, can only imagine how bad it is up there! My thoughts were with all amazing firies that have worked relentlessly without respite for months now(inc. the Canadian mob who gave up their holidays to come help) and the people who have found themselves homeless & lost so much over xmas...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and a shout out to the wonderful man who's farm we broke down outside of on the way home - trailer brakes seized! RACV Total cover(roadside breakdown insurance) was USELESS & we would have been on highway(38 degrees) with horses for hours waiting & then they wouldn't even try to fix it, just stick it on a tow truck to take to nearest mechanic, and we would still be left to find our own solutions for the horses - they don't help with 'stock'.

But this old guy came out, told us to put our horses in one of his paddocks, brought us inside for a cold drink, then took his tools and in the heat of the day, worked on my trailer to enable us to load up & drive home! Tried to give him $50 for his troubles, but he wouldn't take anything, aside from the lone beer I had left in the fridge. Going to send him a box of chockies at least...

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
Australians are some of the hardiest people around. That's always been my impression. and self reliant.

but, you didn't carry the 'swag bundles' ON the horse, right? you brought all your gear in the car and camped next to the vehicle? we call that 'car camping'.

Oh, and um m m . the '*********" word use would not go over well in the US. it has a negative historical context.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know by using Australian descriptions for things. We here from the US don't have a clue as to what your talking about.
Well you know how I felt years ago when I first joined this 'Yankie infested' forum! :p I think I've worked out most of your terms tho. Still, one still gets to me - fanny ~ eew!

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anita, was there anything in the second post you found hard? Bloke I thought was a common term for man. Chockies are chocolates.

Dawn chorus is the cacophony at dawn when the birds all start - thought that was a general term. Tiny, the dawn chorus happens just after 'Picanniny Daylight' ~ aboriginals call their babies picaninnies, and so it means 'baby daylight', very first light in the sky - I figured you'd all have to look that up, but when I did, I found it's not just an aboriginal term but says it's a term for the West Indies children - so I suppose the whitefellas imported it & the aboriginals adopted it. So far as I know it's not a derogatory term here, but seems anything can be taken as derogatory depending on where, when...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
1. I am also envious. What fabulous fabulous pictures and what a way to have a vacation. I wondered why you’ve been so quiet on this forum LOL LOL

1.1. Your description of the night sky puts me in mind of our wonderful northern state of Montana - where our @boots has been known to ride a few horses:)

Montana is known as “Big Sky Country”. I doubt there’s any other place in the U.S. with night skies as breath taking as Montana - even in a bad night:)

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/montana/mt-night-photos/

2. I belong to a horse form from the UK so I’m pretty much able to understand most of your words, as they seem to be pretty much the same as in the UK.

3. The word picaninnies - Yes that is a very very derogatory term here in the U.S. Even when I was a child that word was not to be used or I got my mouth washed out with soap.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
1. I am also envious. What fabulous fabulous pictures and what a way to have a vacation. I wondered why you’ve been so quiet on this forum LOL LOL

1.1. Your description of the night sky puts me in mind of our wonderful northern state of Montana - where our @boots has been known to ride a few horses:)

Montana is known as “Big Sky Country”. I doubt there’s any other place in the U.S. with night skies as breath taking as Montana - even in a bad night:)

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/montana/mt-night-photos/

2. I belong to a horse form from the UK so I’m pretty much able to understand most of your words, as they seem to be pretty much the same as in the UK.

3. The word picaninnies - Yes that is a very very derogatory term here in the U.S. Even when I was a child that word was not to be used or I got my mouth washed out with soap.

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Anita, was there anything in the second post you found hard? Bloke I thought was a common term for man. Chockies are chocolates.

Dawn chorus is the cacophony at dawn when the birds all start - thought that was a general term. Tiny, the dawn chorus happens just after 'Picanniny Daylight' ~ aboriginals call their babies picaninnies, and so it means 'baby daylight', very first light in the sky - I figured you'd all have to look that up, but when I did, I found it's not just an aboriginal term but says it's a term for the West Indies children - so I suppose the whitefellas imported it & the aboriginals adopted it. So far as I know it's not a derogatory term here, but seems anything can be taken as derogatory depending on where, when...
I think that covered all of them...I did know bloke :smile:

Chockies I guessed cookies. I tend to like to try to figure out the words and only google if I am totally lost. I understood you had a good day :cool:

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
My SIL is living in Australia. She married an Australian 'bloke'. She just got her Australian citizenship, so is a dual citizen now (US/AU). She tells me many of the odd 'slang' words Aussies us. It is interesting the way Australians are so frequently creating new terms for things that are basically a shortening of the word. As if they can't be bothered to speak the whole word.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
. It is interesting the way Australians are so frequently creating new terms for things that are basically a shortening of the word. As if they can't be bothered to speak the whole word.
They would fit right in, where I now live, lollol

Shelbyville is Shlvl.

Fayetteville is Fetvul

Some folks say “cote” for colt.

I had to learn all new English when I retired from the OH/PA border to south of the Mason-Dixon:shock::shock:

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^Why waste 3 syllables when you can get by with 2?? 😅 But then, we seem to save 'em up to add to names like Johnno or Stevo or Sammy... go figure!

Oh & Tiny, yes, we did it easy, the car carried the swags & food, not the horses. Have done some overnighters in the past where my riding horse carried my swag too(bedroll with all belongings that didn't tie to the saddle elsewhere) but that was a minimalistic swag, in a past life when I didn't feel the need for thick mattress & protection from mozzies and creepy crawlies... You'd need a whole nother packhorse for this double swag I have now!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Swag is a hard one because it can mean one of three things here in the US.

1.) If you are younger it can mean "cool".

2.) If you were in the US military it can mean "wild guess".

3.) If you are a techy or engineer etc. that goes to a lot of conferences or trade shows it can mean "stuff we all get" like T-Shirts, and mouse pads etc. the stuff they give you a bag of when you check into the event.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts