The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This scenario is a little far out for us right now, but my husband brought it up (I mean camping with the horses) so I thought I'd ask.

Are there places you can camp overnight with horses that have corrals or paddocks already set up that you can rent? Is this a thing? I feel like if I went camping with my horses and didn't have them really secure, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I know that people hobble, or high line, or use portable electric panels, but I see problems with all of these and I can't imagine myself ever being comfortable using one.

Reactions: ClearDonkey

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Some places do have corrals but I just use step in posts, 2 lines of electric tape, and a portable fence charger and it has worked out VERY well for me. I've hit the fence with the portable charger and let me tell you I got a decent little zap and my boys are very respectful of fencing. I have photos of my set ups they're just on my phone and I have to go searching.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

And Dice being a cheeky ******.

I bought handles for my gate area so I can go in and out as needed. I tried the portable corral route and the first time I used them I discovered they were a pain in the behind. If you have unlevel ground you have to be careful whereas with the step in posts you can create an area whatever size and shape you want (within the rules of the place you're staying) not to mention the tape and posts take up WAY less room in the trailer than the portable panels. When I am finished with them I roll everything up and pack it all in an old tent storage bag. Not to mention my tiny portable corral cost me over $500 whereas my tape set up cost me around $60 and takes about 15mins for me to set up on my own.

For me, this is a much easier and effective scenario haha

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Most of my horse camping has been in a wilderness environment, or at a historical site. I’ve always high lined there.

On one large trail ride I participated in, most folks set up portable electric fencing. Our barn simply tied the horses to the trailers.

466B2485-827E-4220-8369-C9132117F3E5.jpeg
755FFACC-15C7-4DFB-A99F-29BF0D714DFB.jpeg

·
Registered
668 Posts
lol @Phantomcolt18 - cute photo!

I like the tape setup as well and prefer they get used to it. I keep my tape setup in my trailer cause you just never know. I have a friend that only likes to go to places with corrals or stalls. We went to one place that the barn was dark and the stalls were small. I didn't want to put my horse in there so set up my tape to a good size! That's another reason I like tape is I can make it any size I want. Anyway my friend ended up using some of my setup and set her horse up with a nice size corral. She didn't know if her horse would like it but she was fine.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Phantomcolt18 what is your source of electricity for this set-up when you go camping?

Reactions: Phantomcolt18

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Avna if a horse pushed or leaned on one side of that, would it just tip over? Or is it heavy enough not to?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
@Phantomcolt18 what is your source of electricity for this set-up when you go camping?
I use Powerfield's Portable Trail Fence Charger and my "grounding rod" is a metal ground spike used to tie out dogs and it works a treat! It runs off of two D batteries and has an on/off button to easily turn the fence off when not in use. I have used mine about 8 times now for full weekends (Fri-Sun) straight (turned off when both horses are out on the trail) and the batteries are still going strong, of course I keep backups in the trailer just in case, but I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
@Avna if a horse pushed or leaned on one side of that, would it just tip over? Or is it heavy enough not to?
I haven't seen this with mine. It doesn't tip over, but a horse pushing on it can move it out of square if it isn't staked down. Lots of people use a side of their trailer for one wall so it is bigger and possibly more stable -- comes with clips to do this with.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have done just about all of those camping scenarios except hobbles. When I was in my 20's, I trained both my horses to stake out. Boy, THAT was convenient! You could put the stake anywhere and they could graze. And you could move the stake to better grass any time. It took me all summer to train one of my horses to stake out, but she was good for 20 years doing it once I got her trained. You can buy rubber training stake-out lines now days, but back then, I threaded a heavy washer attached to clothesline rope through a hose to train my horse. I was babysitting my god daughter every morning, so we played outside every day, watching the horse. When she'd get herself caught, I'd release her. By the end of the summer, she had learned to pick up a foot and shake the rope/hose off. After that, I didn't need the hose and used a stake-out rope.

I high lined for years on camping trips, but one ill-fated trip, both my horses got tangled and slightly injured. I think I got careless and tied them with a too-long rope. I believe high lining has to be done just right for the horse to be comfortable and safe at the same time.

I have also tied to the trailer a bunch of times. Unless you are sleeping in a tent, the horse shakes the trailer all night while you are trying to sleep, and it is not the best situation.

Now days I use electric tape. I have a fence charger that uses two D batteries and they last about 3 years, going camping about 6 times a year, sometimes for 5 days. I leave the electric off during the day because my horses respect it.

I think about half the places where I camp offer stalls and about half of them don't. Some charge extra to have a stall and some supply it as part of the nightly cost.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have also tied to the trailer a bunch of times. Unless you are sleeping in a tent, the horse shakes the trailer all night while you are trying to sleep, and it is not the best situation.
If you tie to the trailer, are they able to lie down? I'm thinking not, right?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If you tie them long enough, they can lie down when tied to the trailer, but then they can get trapped and caught easily, so I never have. I always felt a little guilty tying them to the trailer (not so much when I was a kid) and have only done it when there were no other options. Plus, after the first time, I knew I wasn't gonna get much sleep--jiggle jiggle, snort, snuffle, jiggle, clank.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
And, the barrel strapped to a pillow is for what purpose?
That was a demo pack load for an historical site. The “pillows “ are bundles of trade blankets wrapped with a canvas cover. The keg was empty for this purpose. But would hold whatever liquid you needed to transport.

iv had no problems with the high line. I tie the horses with just enough rope to get their heads down to eat or drink. That seemed to also give enough slack to lie down if they liked.

I always slept close by in case of trouble.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Cordillera Cowboy

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
This is the set-up I use if the place I am camping at has no corrals or stalls. Built the panels myself and for transport they go on hooks on the outside of the trailer with some ratchet straps to tightly secure them...
I don't like including my trailer in the pen, as my pony is an avid paint-chewer. To secure it I use step-in posts and it has worked really well in the past. Setting up camp is fast and easy too. Since I travel by myself, I needed/wanted something where no extra hands are needed for setting up or breaking down...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts