The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my filly caught a cold last week and has been coughing and sneezing. I've noticed she's been acting very out-of-character ever since it all began. She's usually feisty and alert, and rushes forward when I free lunge her in the roundpen. Now she's quiet and tired-looking, and not only that she doesn't rush anymore when I lunge her, but she slows down to a walk constantly. I'm a little worried.
There are tons of random things about her that worry me but are probably incredibly dumb questions so I'll remind myself that I have a tendency of letting my anxiety make me picture worst-case-scenarios in my head and keep them to myself. I mean, it probably means nothing that her light pink nose is darknening, right? Sorry, I'm so anxious when it comes to things like this, every tiny thing looks like a terrible symptom to me (I'm the same way with my own body, so scared of scary illnesses and stuff). A couple of days ago she stood in a pose that made her elbow point look like it was sticking out or swollen or something and I freaked out. Yeah...
I shouldn't be worried about that cough, though, right? I mean, it's been a week and she still has it, and for some reason ever since it began not only that she's super slow and tired on the lunge but also won't go clockwise no matter what (even if we start on the right she turns left at once). She used to be perfect in the roundpen, would change direction when I tell her to and walk over to me when I tell her to. Even followed me around the place.
Sorry I started rambling, it's the middle of the night and I'm anxious and tired xD Also, my English tends to fall flat around these hours.

·
Registered
796 Posts
A couple of days ago she stood in a pose that made her elbow point look like it was sticking out or swollen or something and I freaked out. Yeah...
Horses often stand like this when they are having respiratory issues because it eases the pressure off of their chest to stand with their elbows turned outward. Does her breathing seem shallow and fast? If you have the ability to, you could also take her temperature and other vitals to see just how concerning they really are.

Just like with people, they don't feel so great when they're sick. Lethargy is normal in sick animals. I wouldn't be trying to lunge her or work her if she's telling you it's too much for her right now. If you're worried, I would advise you get a vet out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If the vet puts her on antibiotics be sure to give all the prescription until it is all gone. If you don't it can come back with a vengeance and will be much harder to cure. No matter what I would discontinue the work outs until she is better.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I've been meaning to start using sunscreen on her once it gets hotter, I guess it's time.
If the vet puts her on antibiotics be sure to give all the prescription until it is all gone. If you don't it can come back with a vengeance and will be much harder to cure. No matter what I would discontinue the work outs until she is better.
Sunscreen is not applied because of "getting hotter" but because the sun-rays are stronger and more powerful.
The sun if you live in the southern US is as strong as it gets.
Don't go by a calendar, go by the need of the animals skin and comfort level.
If she has pink skin she may need sunscreen year round... :eek:

As for the filly not acting right...she's sick.
When you have a respiratory infection do you feel energetic, full of antics and attitude or just want to be left alone...
Me, just leave me alone...now.
Her sneezing tells you she is trying to clear her airways, her coughing is telling you the same and it is trying to settle in her lungs = chance of pneumonia is great.
She needs to be seen by a vet and do indeed follow vet instructions for her to get well and recover.
Indeed, for her to heal without long term health effects she needs to be seen and evaluated now.
Let us know how she's doing please..
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pneumonia comes to mind — please call a vet:)
Sunscreen is not applied because of "getting hotter" but because the sun-rays are stronger and more powerful.
The sun if you live in the southern US is as strong as it gets.
Don't go by a calendar, go by the need of the animals skin and comfort level.
If she has pink skin she may need sunscreen year round... :eek:

As for the filly not acting right...she's sick.
When you have a respiratory infection do you feel energetic, full of antics and attitude or just want to be left alone...
Me, just leave me alone...now.
Her sneezing tells you she is trying to clear her airways, her coughing is telling you the same and it is trying to settle in her lungs = chance of pneumonia is great.
She needs to be seen by a vet and do indeed follow vet instructions for her to get well and recover.
Indeed, for her to heal without long term health effects she needs to be seen and evaluated now.
Let us know how she's doing please..
:runninghorse2:...

Thank you so much, everyone. I've contacted a vet and she will arrive soon to examine her. I feel a little stupid for not realising it was pneumonia. Just yesterday I told a couple of friends at the ranch she seemed a little sick and they dismissed it, saying it was probably just the cold she'd caught, and stupidly I did as well. I'm very grateful for your helpful feedback, who knows when we would have caught it if you hadn't mentioned the possibility of pneumonia. As for the sunscreen, yes, I'll try applying it all year round, considering she has such sensitive skin (she's a cremello).
Thank you again and have a great day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts