The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my BF has a 25+ year old TB gelding. This horse dose it tall, he can do low level dressage, any western and cow event and apparently he gaits. He starts to do what looks like a running walk. BF was messing around and found out if he sits likes hes riding a gaited horse he starts to gait (or he will do it heading home and is not aloud to trot). Is it possible to teach them to gait like that or would he have to have a gaited breed in the woodpile? (BF swears hes is a TB and he looks like it, but there is no tattoo or papers to prove it).

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
If he is genuinely gaiting, I would be extremely surprised if he was a TB. Most TB's are racing bred, and thus will have either a microchip, brand or lip tattoo. I may be wrong, but personally I have never heard of a TB that gaits, gaiting is something that is bred into a horse rather than trained. It's possible that this horse is just doing a bit of crazy movement with his legs when he gets tense - a lateral walk springs quickly to mind.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Unless he really isn't TB, then I assume he can just walk very fast making it give the appearance he is gaiting.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a running walk by the looks of it, he moves completely different then just a walk, and he found he can ask him to do it anywhere (found that out our last ride) my arab was trotting to keep up with him (my lil arab is a fast walker too. Most horses are trotting to keep up with her). Ill try to get a vid but getting BF to ride some days is like puling teeth. Here are some pics (he has been sitting for the summer so he lost his topline, and hes over 25 years old)

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think hes got standard bred in him. His background is murky but we know he dose know some dressage, he kicks butt in keyhole and barrels with a 6'4" guy on him, he is cowy, ground ties and even has jumped a little. If you can think of it this horse will do it. If he was not trained to gait he must be mixed. I have a hard time believing hes a PURE TB, he has to have SOMETHING elce in him. But what is now the question.

·
Super Moderator
10,233 Posts
I knew a fellow who was a horse trader in southern Indiana who taught every horse that came his way to do a running walk. The first one I saw was an Appaloosa. I kept trying to see it as another gait, but no... it was a decent running walk.

I would have no idea how to even begin to encourage that, but this fellow just did it as a matter of course.

Too, I have seen older horses with a touch of arthritis take on a more walking horse gait. Must ease the tension/strain on whatever part is affected by the arthritis. Doesn't seem to harm them.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you look at the pics you can see what looks like scaring on his front fetlocks. He had them when BF got him so he had no idea what they where but did not care as they did not bother the horse. Could that be from teaching a horse to gait (not the right way but a way)?

·
Registered
466 Posts
He is not necessarily mixed. A lot of Standardbreds have the ability with very little effort to gait(rw,pace or rack). The trotty ones are more likely to rack, while the pacey ones are usually a bit more difficult to get them going in a rack. I've had several standardbreds that would fall right into the rw also.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Probably standardbred. I had one that did a great running walk and racked. Actually can't ever remember her trotting ever even at liberty.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am thinking STB too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would bet standardbred as well. If they were registered by the United States Trotting Association (USTA) the horse would have a tattoo (like a TB). They switched over to a freeze brand about 19-20 years ago. Depending on where he came from your horse may not be registered. If you live in the plains states he may come from an Amish community (Indiana, Illinois, and PA have large Amish populations). The standardbreds from the Amish communities are not registered by the USTA because the Amish have no interest in racing. Which means that standardbred and standardbred crosses that are not registered can be labeled as thoroughbreds, warmbloods or grades. So, its possible that he is STB or STB cross. That would explain the running walk and would make a bit more sense than a TB doing a running walk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.