The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
It is very difficult to tell a horse's breed by just 2 pictures. Do you have any more photos? Or a video of him/her moving? You could also contact his/her previous owner, as they might know. From what I can see in the pictures, this horse looks similar to a Quarter Horse cross at the barn that I ride at, although that is just based on 2 pictures not showing the horse's full body, so I am not sure.

Edit: I believe the Quarter Horse cross at my barn also is part Arabian, so it makes sense that they look so similar.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Looks like it’s got some Arab in it and maybe some thoroughbred judging by its narrow chest and head. But then also it’s back end is rather sticky so maybe some quarter horse. The flea bitten colour is most common with arabs.

·
Banned
904 Posts
It is very difficult to tell a horse's breed by just 2 pictures. Do you have any more photos? Or a video of him/her moving? You could also contact his/her previous owner, as they might know. From what I can see in the pictures, this horse looks similar to a Quarter Horse cross at the barn that I ride at, although that is just based on 2 pictures not showing the horse's full body, so I am not sure.
Yeah, his shoulder looks a bit too steep but it is definitely stocky like a quarter horse and is close to the height of most quarter horses

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Looks like an Arab/part Arab to me. Our Arab looks a bit like him, and is only 14.2. Arabs are not tall horses, and flea-bitten greys are quite common. He may have something mixed in though, hard to say.

·
Banned
904 Posts
This is my 1/3 Arab. He is overweight as he hasn’t been worked much lately and we just had a drought breaker so he is on a diet and now in a paddock with less grass

Reactions: tinyliny

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Our 75% Arab with 25% QH. Not the best picture, but you can see the similarities. He is rather unimpressive in the field, but when my daughter gets on him, he turns into an elegant show horse who just floats. She is doing dressage with him and it's going very well. Arabs are one of the smartest breeds.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Our 75% Arab with 25% QH. Not the best picture, but you can see the similarities. He is rather unimpressive in the field, but when my daughter gets on him, he turns into an elegant show horse who just floats. She is doing dressage with him and it's going very well. Arabs are one of the smartest breeds.
View attachment 1106686
He’s beautiful! It’s great that your daughter is doing well with him. The photo is good, much better than mine 😂

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Yeah, his shoulder looks a bit too steep but it is definitely stocky like a quarter horse and is close to the height of most quarter horses
There isn't a height of "most" Quarter Horses. It depends on what type you have -- cutting lines tend to be large-pony sized, but racing lines are commonly 16 hands and more.

If I were guessing from two quite poor photos I would say a grade horse with some Arabian or Welsh in the mix, because both of those would be short, and both are gray more often than not.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
Looks similar to my first horse that was an Arabian x Quarter Horse cross.

·
Banned
904 Posts
There isn't a height of "most" Quarter Horses. It depends on what type you have -- cutting lines tend to be large-pony sized, but racing lines are commonly 16 hands and more.

If I were guessing from two quite poor photos I would say a grade horse with some Arabian or Welsh in the mix, because both of those would be short, and both are gray more often than not.
Oh ok. I’ve only seen quarter horses at 14.3 - 15 hh, the tallest was 15.3 but I’ve only met one quarter horse that tall. I’ve never seen a racing quarter horse.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Oh ok. I’ve only seen quarter horses at 14.3 - 15 hh, the tallest was 15.3 but I’ve only met one quarter horse that tall. I’ve never seen a racing quarter horse.
In the US alone, there are more Quarter Horses than all the other breeds put together. Racing, cutting, roping, general stock, halter, western pleasure, and other lines -- all of which have specific traits.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'd guess arab quarter horse cross. Cutting/reining bred quarter horses are in the 14 to 14.2 hand size.

Whatever your guy is he's nice looking boy.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
If you are in Australia then stock horse/station bred which ate built similar to quarter horses would be the more likely cross. Canada then Quarter Horse. I dont remember which flag went to OP and which to one of the replies

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
In that case German riding pony cross.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts