The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a chance to work this TB/Gelderland cross. But the next week after that. I met up with the owner and she said that the horse is now lame because of a fat pocket around the femur,stifle joint (it is a big fat pocket) and now he is to be a companion pet...
I know she doesnt know that much about horses and health shes kinda nooby. So im thinking the b/o trainer has told her whats going on about the fat pocket.
Ive never come across a fat pocket on my horses. So I dont know to much about them. I did try to google it and see if I could find an article saying they can be lame from fat pockets. Has anyone had a horse become lame from a fat pocket? Or is this a case on the location of it?
Would exercise help? When I watched him run around in the arena he looked normal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Without pictures it's hard to tell, really...it could be a fatty tumor (fat pocket, whatever you want to call it), BUT, in my experience these sort of things don't cause an animal any discomfort. It could be something entirely different, and unless they have gotten a veterinarian's full check up and scans if necessary, I seriously doubt that it's just a fat pocket causing his issues.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I would be very skeptical of someone saying that a "fat pocket" made a horse lame. (very very very skeptical;) )

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know! Is it even possible to fully remove a fat pocket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.