The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pony is a Welsh Section D and he's had laminitus before - a few weeks ago actually. He has restricted grazing but because it's been bad weather there's barely any grass so when he goes out in the morning he has a slice of hay. He also has soaked hay overnight and some chaff in the morning. Christmas is coming up so I've been looking at Likits for him as it's something I've always wanted to get.

Are horses prone to laminitus okay to have Likits? I'm either getting him a paddock Likit for his field or a Likit holder for his stable.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Personally, I would avoid all licks containing molasses/sugar. Especially if the horse is on a restricted diet, anything that sweet won't last long and is best avoided. You could look out for a lick designed for laminitics, eg. Rockies LaminShield. Not so much of a treat for your horse but definitely better for him.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Absolutely not. They are a block of sugar, and some horses will eat the whole thing when first exposed to them. You would probably have another episode of laminitis from that much sugar consumption. However, Uncle Jimmy's makes a sugar free treat that will fit in the likit holder that seems to be ok. It is sweetened with sorbitol and made of beet pulp and alfalfa. There are also himalayan salt likits that would probably be fine. I know Smartpak has both.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Forgot Uncle Jimmy's sugar-free licks, Viranh!

I've had mixed success with them myself. The Welsh D-x not only demolished the entire lick overnight but, in his haste to scoff it down, also completely shredded the plastic holder. Nothing left next morning but a pile of purple shavings on the floor! On the other hand, my Dartmoor does very well with them. Trial and error . . .

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have the likit shaped Uncle Jimmy's for my TB, and he ate half the first day, then slowed down and it's been a week and a half now and there's still some left. I use the full sized hanging ball for my laminitic pony, and I suspend it from the rafters where she can't pin it against anything and has to reach for it, and it lasts nearly a month. Too low, and it will be gone in a matter of days if not hours... Some of them can demolish anything, lol. No hot footed-ness from the pony when she had the ball either, so they really are low NSC. There's not any grain or sugar. Some so-called "sugar free" treats don't have any pure sugar added, but are still made of corn and oats, which is unhelpful.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
As others have said, no Likits.

Feed him 8 ounces of straight timothy pellets from your hand - he won't know any better.

A Christmas treat is only to make you feel better:p

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Heck iv given my horses a handfull of the feed they get every day and they are just thrilled. Did that last christmas morning they acted like it was the best treat ever.

If its coming from my hand it must be a wonderfull treat so they think:lol:. Then again i dont feed by hand hardly ever so when i do the go all goofy.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Another thought:
Low Sugar/Low Starch  Horse Cookies & Treats

These treats are very low NSC, and all my horses adore them, even the ones who don't like treats. They smell delicious-I've actually considered eating one, lol. I know it's not a stall toy/treat, but your horse will enjoy them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.