The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while grooming my horse he pooped and I noticed the pile was kind of small. I picked up one of the round balls of poop and it was a little hard. What can I feed him that will help him break down his food? He has plenty of access to clean water but he was in all day yesterday and I think the quality of the hay he is getting right now isn't very good. Otherwise he is normal. I'm afraid he's headed for an impaction colic.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Olive oil probably won't do much for hard stools. Adding oil to a horse's diet too quickly can give them diarrhea, which technically would soften up the stool, but is creating a different GI tract problem, so probably not what you want to go for :)

The best ways to prevent impaction colic are adequate hydration and movement. From your other thread, it sounds like he doesn't currently have a salt source, so that's where I'd start. If it's very cold where you are, you might also look into a heated water bucket (horses tend to drink less when the water is very cold, even if it's not frozen) or offer him tepid water a few times a day to see if he'll drink that.

As for movement- if he is stuck inside all day due to weather try to give him some extra exercise, either turning him out in an arena (if you can), hand walking, lungeing, or riding.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When my mare was at the University and on atropine (SP) her stools started being dry and firm. They gave her a half cup of mineral oil mixed with pellets. That handled it.
I also had to feed it for a while after she came home but fortunately or unfortunately one of our pastures sprouted clover like crazy. I hand grazed her for about twenty min. per day there and it loosened the stool well. Only problem she gained about fifty pounds during that time so had to go on a diet afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.