The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black bridle I really really like..

Is there a way to make a normal bit bridle into a side pull?!

I will love you forever if you can tell me how. :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The closest thing to a side pull Bridle I can find is this.

http://www.outwestsaddlery.com/assets/images/Indian_Hackamore_Red_Latigo400.jpg

You can just attach it to your regular bridle and it is pretty much a side pull.
It looks like a bug or something lol.
I have something VERY similar to that. The problem I'm having with it is I **THINK** it may be hurting his nose. Whenever I try to stop he throws his head, and he doesn't do it in his sidepull.

Follow up question: would fleece help to reduce the stiffness over his nose... I mean, it should right? Sorry if it's a silly question.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have something VERY similar to that. The problem I'm having with it is I **THINK** it may be hurting his nose. Whenever I try to stop he throws his head, and he doesn't do it in his sidepull.

Follow up question: would fleece help to reduce the stiffness over his nose... I mean, it should right? Sorry if it's a silly question.
Does he stop after he throws his head or keep on going?

Yes. It will make it softer on his face.
check to see where exactly it's lying on his nose. It could be positioned incorrectly.
What I posted the Indian thing is a Sidepull too. Is yours made from Rawhide?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's braided nylon.
I've only used it twice, he kind of stops and fusses.
This is where it sits:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think I see the problem. The way the nose band is braided in that twist makes it more harsh opposed to a regular flat braid. I'm not sure about how to gauge the severity of the different braids.

Try it wrapped with cotton wound wrap then vet wrap over the cotton and see if that don't help lessen the severity of it.

I tried a braid like that on one of my rope halters and got a poor reaction to it. So I re braided a flat design.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for that site. If the 'padding' I add doesn't work..
I have a local leather place out here that I'm gonna ask if they can make something similar for me..
I'd like to not spend $50 for one strap of leather. :p

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Run to walmart and in the automotive section get a fleece tube meant for padding car seat belts. Just the right size, cheap and no alterations needed for your average sized horse. Usually lots of colors too.

Some of those home braided bosals don't release right away either. Does it loosen immediately when you slack the reins?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Run to walmart and in the automotive section get a fleece tube meant for padding car seat belts. Just the right size, cheap and no alterations needed for your average sized horse. Usually lots of colors too.

Some of those home braided bosals don't release right away either. Does it loosen immediately when you slack the reins?
No!!! I was constantly trying to get it to loosen up. I think the weight of the hardware on the reins makes it stick. I was gonna use it with clips but I could tell before I even got on that wouldn't work.

I'll look for that fleece, is it a common automotive thing? I don't shop at Walmart, but we have target and Fred Meyer and auto places so ill look around tomorrow! Yay thank you. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
A flat braided design will be less harsh thatn a twisted "waxed" rope design because the flat past covers more area on the nose thus dispersing pressure over a wider area than a twisted rope or "waxed" rope version. A flat band is less severe than a braided becuse there is less friction from the raised parts of the braided version. The chain or bike chain version (which I dont see used much anymore....thank God) is even more harsher than the rope because is is less forgiving (try totaly unforgiving), covers less area (dose not disperse pressure) and and is rough on the facial bones. (think of a chain going over the bridge of your nose verses a flat strap, give it a try and you will notice right off). I used to use the Beetle Bug hackamore (waxed rope nose) and the O ring side pull also waxed rope nose and both bridle nose peices were wrapped in vet wrap or laytex wrap bandaging to increase area covered on the nose (to disperse pressure over a wider area) and to give some padding to thwart rubbing on sensitive nasal/facial bones.
The "Light Rider" uses chin pressure in conjuction with the nose and little poll action (if any at all). Hackamores (mechanical type not the "true hackamore" the bosal) are different than a side pull because of the poll action in conjuction with the nose and chin action. There are differences between a hackamore (mechanical), a sidepull and a bosal. I homemade a side pull similar to the "light rider" bridle mentioned above and attatched it to a halter. More control than just attaching the reins to a halter but less control than a bit but then again I was using this on a well mannered 25 year old mare.

As with all things horses must be taught how to response to such devices and great care in fitting is most important. with bosals, mechanical hackamores and sidepulls this is a rule of thumb I have taught to my students......"Set to high and you lose the advantage and set to low can cause nasal damage." Be careful of pinching of skin esp in the corners where two peices of leather or rings may attach.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
No!!! I was constantly trying to get it to loosen up. I think the weight of the hardware on the reins makes it stick. I was gonna use it with clips but I could tell before I even got on that wouldn't work.

I'll look for that fleece, is it a common automotive thing? I don't shop at Walmart, but we have target and Fred Meyer and auto places so ill look around tomorrow! Yay thank you. :)

It's a common thing. I use one in my husband's pickup because the shoulder harness will catch me across the neck and really make me sore.

That's the big problem, horse isn't getting immediate release when you let up. It could be making him sore and/or sending mixed signals. Unless you solve the release problem the padding isn't going to help much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.