The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone more questions.
I am going to walmart tommorow so I thought I would pick up some shampoo and maybe some for my horse what brand do I look for? Can I use baby shampoo? My horse has a whitiesh greyish yellowish tail:oops: is there any whiteners I could use?
Thank you
TaSiA

·
Registered
470 Posts
I believe, but I'm not sure, that baby shampoo is alright. :)
If someone wants to correct me on that, go ahead ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Human shampoo works fine and is not at all harmful to horses. I use Suave for Sugar. Her favorite scent is apple (go figure).

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i use alot of baby shampoo, i find its makes them so soft! :p you could probably use a shampoo that is supposed to make greys more silver or shiny... that might help make her tail white..haha maybe even silver ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Sure :D One time I mixed a little Head and Shoulders in with some baby shampoo to wash my mare's dandruff-filled tail. Dried the hair a little at first, but I perfected the combination of shampoos and got it were it works great.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yea I use mane n tail for my horses, and I even bought my own separate bottles of it and I use it! lol It makes my hair so soft, and my fiances' friend was like "That stuff will make your hair grow like no other." lol I hope it does cuz I want my hair longer.

I did try human shampoo, I think it was suave, but it made my mare's coat real dry, but it also made it real soft and clean lol.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I don't like using human products on my animals, horses included... You can get Mane and Tail products from wally, as well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
We used Suave for years because there were so many smells and a good proce, but on my horse that had white areas I used dog shampoo. The dog whitening shampoos are decently priced, and I could wash my Great Dane in it too. :) It worked really well for my horse.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Don't use Herbal essences though, it makes your horse smell really bad. Something in the make-up of it reacts badly with horse's skin. VO5 and Suave work great. My favorite though is VO5.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Don't use Herbal essences though, it makes your horse smell really bad. Something in the make-up of it reacts badly with horse's skin. VO5 and Suave work great. My favorite though is VO5.
haha i tryed herbal essances a while ago thinking: oh this i will be great! my horse with look good and smell great! hahaha i had to re-wash him because it smelled so bad!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm glad I know that one...lol. I would hat e to have to re- wash because the shampoo made them stink. I have had certain dog shampoos that did that to my old black lab.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try the dog whitener! Or just good old mane n tail

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i love suave green apple !! haha

i also use hair bluing for old people with grey/white hair [to make it look white instead of yellow] on my horses white tail, it works really well, but dont leave it it too long ! you can probably get it at walmart

·
Registered
852 Posts
my boys prefer the Ocean Breeze suave lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yup, I use human shampoo all the time for my mare (being gray, she gets lots of baths, and human shampoo is easier on the wallet).

Just make sure you rinse really well. Some human shampoo's irritate some horse's skin.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Two words. dollar store. It's because she's so big I get a lot of shampoo from there. human shampoo is fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts