The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can use scissors to trim the whiskers on the face's of both of my horses, or if I should instead purchase those "horse shave" things. My horses are really laid back, if that helps.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
As far as I know, whiskers should not be trimmed at all. They are a sensory organ (same as with cats) and horses use them to feel the ground when eating. Without them they tend to get bumps and scratches on their nose and mouth. I think some federations/competitions have banned the practice (French, I think?).

Unless you have a very good reason, leave them alone. I personally don’t think “pretty” would be a good reason but that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
As far as I know, whiskers should not be trimmed at all. They are a sensory organ (same as with cats) and horses use them to feel the ground when eating. Without them they tend to get bumps and scratches on their nose and mouth. I think some federations/competitions have banned the practice (French, I think?).

Unless you have a very good reason, leave them alone. I personally don’t think “pretty” would be a good reason but that’s just my opinion.
^^^^ This.

Step away from the whiskers:)

I wouldn‘t trim the hair inside the ears either— it helps keep the tiny biting flies out of there:)

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Yes, FEI (Fédération Équestre Internationale) has now banned whisker trimming: Ban on trimming horses’ whiskers for international competitions starts today - Horse & Hound.

Since many national equestrian associations follow the same rules, one can expect to see this becoming more widespread. Not everyone agrees with this decision, but to be honest, there are no good reasons to trim whiskers other than appearances. They are there for a reason. Leave them alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if I can use scissors to trim the whiskers on the face's of both of my horses, or if I should instead purchase those "horse shave" things. My horses are really laid back, if that helps.
^^^^ This.

Step away from the whiskers:)

I wouldn‘t trim the hair inside the ears either— it helps keep the tiny biting flies out of there:)
I don't believe it's any more reasonable to trim horse's whiskers as you would for a dog or cat - it's not nice.
If I remember correctly FEI even banned whiskers trimming because it's somewhere cruel. You just cut an organ.
Yes, FEI (Fédération Équestre Internationale) has now banned whisker trimming: Ban on trimming horses’ whiskers for international competitions starts today - Horse & Hound.

Since many national equestrian associations follow the same rules, one can expect to see this becoming more widespread. Not everyone agrees with this decision, but to be honest, there are no good reasons to trim whiskers other than appearances. They are there for a reason. Leave them alone.

Thank you all for being polite about it- you're totally right. Believe it or not, right after I posted this I looked up if it was actually harmful and decided against it since the whiskers are a sensory tool and they are pasture horses- I just didn't get a chance to come back to my post until now, sorry. But yes, I totaly agree now- I'd never trim a dog/cats whiskers, nor would I deprive a pasture horse especially of the nature-given tool- I wasn't completely aware that they are as important as they are, rather than just kind of a 'beard' they grow, but I am still learning- ignorance on my part. Kind of sad it is still done for shows, then? Thanks for your patience with me, I'll leave them untouched at all times- and just to note, I haven't done it at all in the 5-6 years I've had them :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don’t trim my horses’ whiskers (anymore). All three of mine have some degree of blindness and they need them to “feel” for them since they can’t see a lot of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Just for thought for all those who are so adamant against....
There is a point in time that shortening, not removing....shortening of whiskers can be beneficial to our hooved friends.
When the whiskers are so long they get covered in filth and are plastered against the face they do not protect either...
There is a happy medium and watchful knowing of when it would benefit to shorten a bit too...
The same goes for ear hairs...never inside removed...no!
But the tufts that protrude and get full of gunky, greasy filth that if you watch the horse rubbing its face/ears to try and rid that mess gone...then a careful trim so the hairs of the ear work to protect the inner working of the ear best is not harmful but beneficial.
My horses whiskers do not always "break" off and can become so long they get caught in things and filthy...defeating the purpose of having them it does!

I've been where so many adamantly yell don't.... and clipped not by choice but because you had to fit in or be penalized...
My own horses I do not "clip" but I will shorten muzzle whiskers so they do as they are meant to do not be plastered to the face and will clip off the gunky ear tufts so the hairs can again expand and do their intended purpose better.
I will though in winter clip the hairs that grow behind the jaw or chin and catch in a noseband, a curb chain and hurt the horse as they tug and get ripped out...
I don't clip to bald a face or body part, I can...I don't!
I clip to clean a area so the animals natural defense mechanisms can work to their potential as intended by nature.

Just so those of you who say you can't clip....don't bet on that.
New organizations and rules are being made that don't follow the FEI rulings and those shows are as packed as any you can imagine..
Premier venues with world-class animals are arriving at these shows....to the local competitors fun shows...
So although you say you can't, they do, and they will continue to do so....
As long as someone wants, someone else will make it happen.... 😐
That ruling only applies to FEI sanctioned, so if you are not riding under FEI organization....:unsure:
🐴... be informed is a must jmo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts