The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m new here, my name is Laura and I have a Morgan horse called Higgins. I was wondering if miniature horse tack could fit a small pony? (classified as below 12.2 hands tall) The biggest size pony I would want right now is 12.2-12.3 hands, I’m looking to get into training project ponies. Also, what is everyone’s opinion on horses/ponies wearing boots while lunging? I looked into it a bit and I personally think it’s a good idea but I would like to get some more info on it. Does anyone know where to get decent quality jumping/tendon pony or mini boots (preferably hook and stud, not velcro) for not too expensive? Hoping for under $100 for a set CAD. Thanks for your help, and looking forward to learning more about the questions above!
Laura and Higgs

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you say miniature horse, was he stocky like a Shetland or quite fine boned? Saddles are completely dependent on your horses back so there's no way to say, a bridle could maybe fit if your new pony had a very dainty head. You'd almost certainly need a new bit and girth.
As far as boots go, I personally don't think it's necessary. My pony wears overreach boots when working usually, because she over reaches quite a bit. Tendon boots and the like though, I prefer not to put them on unless they're jumping or hunting. That's just my opinion mind you, and if I had a clumsy horse I might boot them up. Tendon boots aren't going to hurt if they fit right though so it's up to you.
Also, lunging is a good skill, and it definitely can help with training, but don't overdo it. All those repetitive small circles can get hard on their joints, and they can find it boring. So by all means lunge, but don't keep them going round forever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say miniature horse, was he stocky like a Shetland or quite fine boned? Saddles are completely dependent on your horses back so there's no way to say, a bridle could maybe fit if your new pony had a very dainty head. You'd almost certainly need a new bit and girth.
As far as boots go, I personally don't think it's necessary. My pony wears overreach boots when working usually, because she over reaches quite a bit. Tendon boots and the like though, I prefer not to put them on unless they're jumping or hunting. That's just my opinion mind you, and if I had a clumsy horse I might boot them up. Tendon boots aren't going to hurt if they fit right though so it's up to you.
Also, lunging is a good skill, and it definitely can help with training, but don't overdo it. All those repetitive small circles can get hard on their joints, and they can find it boring. So by all means lunge, but don't keep them going round forever.
Thank you for the reply! I mean just like average mini horse tack, probably the largest size, really just in general. I don’t have any tack for minis at the moment so I was just curious if I could buy mini tack for the ponies or if I would have to get special pony size. I wouldn’t lunge too much for sure, I’ve definitely heard that too much can be bad for their joints. That’s another thing, my opinion is that i could probably start lightly lunging at around 2-2 1/2 years old, and probably start putting a tiny bit of weight on around that time too. Opinions on that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I mean just like average mini horse tack, probably the largest size, really just in general. I don’t have any tack for minis at the moment so I was just curious if I could buy mini tack for the ponies or if I would have to get special pony size. I wouldn’t lunge too much for sure, I’ve definitely heard that too much can be bad for their joints. That’s another thing, my opinion is that i could probably start lightly lunging at around 2-2 1/2 years old, and probably start putting a tiny bit of weight on around that time too. Opinions on that?

Ah right, here in the UK at least you'd probably be buying pony size tack if your pony was around 12.3. There's no reason you couldn't use a miniature horse saddle on the pony if it was wide enough through the gullet etc, and if it'd fit the rider.
You should definitely be okay for lunging at 2 years old. Personally, I didn't sit on my pony until she was 3, however at 2 I was getting her used to weight by saddling her up etc. You can also put your hand on the stirrup and press your weight into it a bit as well to help get them used to that, it's safer than using your foot the first few times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah right, here in the UK at least you'd probably be buying pony size tack if your pony was around 12.3. There's no reason you couldn't use a miniature horse saddle on the pony if it was wide enough through the gullet etc, and if it'd fit the rider.
You should definitely be okay for lunging at 2 years old. Personally, I didn't sit on my pony until she was 3, however at 2 I was getting her used to weight by saddling her up etc. You can also put your hand on the stirrup and press your weight into it a bit as well to help get them used to that, it's safer than using your foot the first few times.
Okay perfect! Yeah I was thinking of doing most of that anyway :)
So I’ve heard that the biggest saddle on average for a pony around that size would be a 16” English, do you think that’s accurate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts