The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use them for ranch work like roping? All I can find is info about them being used for trails. Also, how versatile are they? I know any horse can be versatile if they have decent conformation and a good mind. Would a mustang be a good all around prospect? Can you show them? Just looking for info about mustangs since I think they're the "bees knees".

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Why would you not be able to use them for ranch work?

They are versatile, the breed can do anything and everything...As long as they have the heart for it/conformation for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: SouthernTrails

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Absolutely. They can do anything. You should follow some of the mustang makeover pages etc. on FB. These horses are amazing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you're talking BLM mustang you're going to have to find one with the right mind and conformation for the job. It shouldn't be very hard. I've seen some off the range that look straight quarter horse. There are some that are very light and very heavy too you'd be best to avoid those types.

Spanish Mustangs as a breed (not range horses the breed was developed before the BLM) are very good cow horses. Vaqueros bred for it, find a herd that's got some Spanish influence (sulphur, Cerbat, McKinley, etc) and you're golden.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
They're used for whatever their owner wants, in my experience.

I second "wakiya's" advice about picking one for brains/temperament and conformation.

If you think they are the "bees knees" (I love that saying!) you might be influenced by your emotions. Having an objective second party along could be helpful in the long term.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
My bf has one and I know several others who have mustangs. One is used for trails at 30 years old. another is used for dressage and some trails. My bf dose what ever with his gelding, from barrels, roping (only a couple of times as he is not a roper) and he had jumped ditches with him. I have eyed Kigers (hence my user) and found they excel in any sport. From jumping and dressage, to reining, cutting and roping. They are willing and love their human so they will try anything (this goes for all types of mustangs).
Here is a vid of the mustang million highlights
This was the winner of the Extreme Mustang Makeover.

And just because I like this vid XD

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
And-there is another Mustang Million type competition in a couple of weeks! One of my friends is currently training for it. Invitation only, and the horses are all selected for their conformation and color. Cream of the crop….and will be auctioned after, as usual.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Didn't ranchers back in the day use horses off the range for ranch work?

I just watched a show on reality TV called Mustang Millionaire......

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I know my mustang mare goes from trails to western to jumping and she loves all of it! all depends on the horse but mustangs tend to be good at pretty much everything!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.