The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to do endurance, but life was too busy.
Now I have time... the thing is, my boy is a 23-year-old Arabian.

Is that too old for endurance?

He is in great body condition, no health problems, never lame. Sometimes seems a little stiff in the mornings but warms up fine. We did a 7-mile hunter pace with little to no conditioning and he was in the front constantly and could have gone for another 7 miles no problem. Same with my 20 year old quarter horse. She was right beside him and never faultered.

I know endurance is a different beast. And I'm a little scared of it. But if its safe for my senior horses then I think I would like to take a stab at it

·
Registered
746 Posts
I feel ya! I wanted to do NATRC and endurance for ages and ages, but something always got in the way (money, time, lack of transportation, etc.) I've been trying to do it, and in the meantime, that 8 year old Haflinger gelding I bought went and aged up (he’ll be 22 next year, how does that happen? I only bought him a week ago didn’t I? 😂)

Plenty of older horses doing endurance, with the right conditioning. If we ever manage to get to a ride, I plan to stick to the Intros for my gelding because he’s not an Arab. 10 miles shouldn’t be difficult. Might be something for you to consider. And then if your horse acts like he wants more, step up to an LD.

Of course, if we want to get technical, I have a virtual 100 mile Tevis horse. We did the Virtual Tevis last year and it took us 3 months to finish, but we got all 100 miles in. 😅

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm also in that club. I've been riding Arabians for over 30 years and always wanted to do endurance, but never had the time. And I never will. So I trail ride a lot, several hundred miles every year. As far as your question, there is an Endurance Riding section in Horse Forum. I suggest you post your question there. My experience with endurance is limited to helping mark and unmark the course. So I have been at endurance racing camps, but never participated in the race itself. I know that nowadays they have races as short as 15 miles.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If your horse is stiff in the morning , then it has arthritis going on, and before you do anything you need have him Vet checked. Endurance horses have a lot of conditioning .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts