The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only showed in one show and my friends who have showed alot more than I have say that I have to neck rein with my left hand and keep my right hand straight down at my side and that is really really hard for me so can I switch and not lose points per say?? Like neck rein with my right and keep my left hand down or is what they said completely wrong???

Any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have only showed in one show and my friends who have showed alot more than I have say that I have to neck rein with my left hand and keep my right hand straight down at my side and that is really really hard for me so can I switch and not lose points per say?? Like neck rein with my right and keep my left hand down or is what they said completely wrong???

Any help would be appreciated. :)
In western, traditionally the left hand hold the reins because the right hand is left free to rope etc.

In the show pen, you are not discounted for riding with either or left or your right...it's personal choice.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Ditto GotaDun.

I ride left handed for the traditional reasons and start all of my students off using their non dominant hand. It leaves your dominant hand free to open gates, throw a rope or grab the horn when on a cutter.

In showing, it doesn't matter which you use, it's all personal preference. I've never seen a judge ask nor have I asked myself for a rider to use a particular hand. Now if you were to switch hands mid-stream during a class, in most that will be a DQ (especially a trail class working a gate!)

Reactions: rob
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.