The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my friend Hanna and I in a mock horse show with our favorite pony, Prince Pandaponium(Panda).

Guess which rider is the Dressage rider, and which one is the Show Jumper xD Lol!

By the way, I'm new to the site. Just joined today, even though I've gotten so many answers off of it for years before. <33

·
Registered
181 Posts
That pony is super cute!
I have no idea about the riders though :p
Back one dressage, front one show jumping?
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That pony is super cute!
I have no idea about the riders though :p
Back one dressage, front one show jumping?
Welcome to the forum!

Naw, Thankyou! <3 I entered him into the "Youtube's Cutest Pony/Horse" contest, but he lost to a big horse who jumps 4 feet. Not fair xD

Yeah, Hanna's my best friend, and she's in the back. She's been doing FEI sactioned dressage for a while now, and is my instructor every time I ride with her. xD

I'm a show jumper/eventer, so I have the shorter legs(like I would in a jumping saddle), and the darker jodphurs, and lower hands. She has the longer legs and dressage breeches, and would be holding the reigns higher if it wasn't for her trying not to fall off of Panda's butt xD

Thankyewverymuch! :D I like it here! People are very nice

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I met Hanna at my barn ^^ There are very few people who ride in my area. But we're like, practically sisters now.

Yeeeah, that's what most people guess off of. It works though! xD

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I totally don't pay attention to what you're wearing but I saw the disciplines from the difference in the riding! You are much more of a jumpers type rider and your friend is much more 'dressagey'. I ride with a really long leg too, couldn't ride any shorter in my dressage saddle and I am still looking for a jumping saddle that fits Monty (I have had him since... march or april?) so at the moment if I jump it's in my dressage saddle or a cheap little all purpose. I can go higher in the a/p just because I can ride with shorter stirrups. The bigger your jump, the shorter your stirrups need to be, but I'm sure you already know that ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, yeah. ^^ I love my short stirrups, even for just flat work. A few of my dressage friends will force me to ride in their saddles, and dispite the strong dipped seat, I am ALL over the place. xD I just don't feel comfortable with super long stirrups, so even bareback I have the shorter leg. xP

Right now I'm jumping my Show Jumper In Training in full Dressage tack. Mainly because that's what she came with that fits her and she doesn't respond to a snaffle bit. xD But I can get those stirrups up there, lemme tell you xD.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I used to be like that too :) but the best thing I ever did was get a dressage saddle that FORCED me to extend my leg. I have a rip-off of the Wintec Isabell and you end up having serious problems with that saddle if you don't ride with a super-long leg.

I ride long jumping too at the moment because my all purpose is too small for me to really crank those stirrups up. I would ride at least 6 holes shorter for jumping than I am, except I can't! I'm a showjumping rider too, but starting to get into eventing because I love cross country... and the dressage saddle was bought for my old horse because it was the only thing I could find that would fit him! It kinda sucks having horses with ridiculously straight backs, nothing fits them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Dusty diamond! ^^ We went a bit overboard.

Oh wow. I only really extend my leg in western saddles of my friend's Isabell Werth Dressage saddle. I wouldn't dare bring those stirrups up a hole in fear that Hanna would burn me alive. xP

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Mine is an Isabell... kind of. Minus the price tag and somewhat lower quality, but it rides the same. My stirrups are REALLY long, couldn't ride that long in any other saddle but the Isabell demands it. You look like you actually have longer legs than your friend but because you ride short (as a jumping rider) you feel like her stirrup length is really long... am I right?

I couldn't ride in my friend's saddle for the longest time because she wouldn't let me adjust her stirrups and they were too long... she is 13, I am nearly 17, and I am a lot taller than her. Now, she can't ride in my saddle, because my stirrups are too long for her.

Nothing wrong with being used to riding short :) I'm used to riding long so I'm not really looking forwards to getting a jumping saddle that fits Monty because the suddenly short stirrups will be a huge shock!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how much the isabell costed(It's my trainer's tack, but it's the tack I use), but it is extremely comfy. I ride with long-jump stirrups, where the stirrups are down to my ankle if I let my leg loose. Yet, it still has a big bend in my knee, which I'm still trying to comprehend.

Hanna doesn't let me adjust her dressage saddle(Still way to long for me), or her hunter saddle(WAY to short for me), so I only really ride in her bareback pad, or I bring her hunter down a hole when she's not there. xD

I tend to have more balance with a short stirrup, but I know that If I get used to long, It would change. I like the grip I get with a bent knee. If I had to all of the sudden only ride with dressage-length, I know that I would just tip right out of that saddle at a canter xD

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
ahahahaha that happened to me a couple of times when I started riding in my dressage saddle. I feel strange with short stirrups now. Helps to have a nice supportive jumping saddle rather than a horrible self-ejector-seat general purpose of course, but I have only fallen out of my dressage saddle 3 times since I bought it nearly a year ago. One of those was the horse - he went bronc on me.

You are a lot more secure in an a/p or jumping saddle with a short stirrup than a long stirrup so if that's what you're used to, and you only ride in that kind of saddle, it makes sense that you don't feel safe with long stirrups. I don't feel safe jumping in my dressage and I don't feel safe flatting in an a/p or jump. I am odd hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.