The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so this vet supply website I shop at to buy stuff for my dog sells items for literally any animal imaginable, I have found very useful items for dogs in other animal categories before - from poultry, to swine, to cat, to of course the most useful section that is not the dog section is of course the horse section since I have such huge dogs... I have found some awesome products that can be used for dogs and I would’t have if I didn’t end up straying in other animal sections!

I have always been partial to using cheap $5-$10 horse leads you can get at your local feed store, but this website found me my perfect ones for my dogs which are actually designed with mini ponies in mind!

ANYWAY... I found this item and was like wow I have no sewing or anything skills, this would be PERFECT for what I had in mind! And it would look good too!

I have two long nylon dog training/whatever leashes that both needed new snaps on them. One of them, in a freak accident, got me the snap clip top part cleanly ripped off somehow while my one my dogs decided to bolt through 2 feet snow after a deer.
That one is orange in color and I think 30ft. I do not have it with me in person atm, but I am planning on cutting the rest of the snap bottom it still has in it off, and like the one mentioned below there should be a nice little loop where I can slide the replacement bolt snap in.

The other which I have had in my family for a loooong time, leash is at least 20 years old maybe way older and the snap on it which was orginally steel (or whatever cheap metal that can look like steel) was turning like a gross black color. I took some heavy duty cutters and cut that out. This leash is red and 15ft feet I think.

These horse snaps fit perfectly in the little loop left by cutting off the old leash snaps! I have included pictures...

anyway here my dumb-i-know-nothing-about-horses question, how do I use these correctly? Is there something I am supposed to screw out? In one of the pictures I put an animal thermometer point at the place that needs closing. If nothing needs to be screwed in, how can I neatly close up that gape and what tool should be used?

I really hope I get help with this! Dog with the orange leash line won’t ever be able to break a horse bolt snap that’s for dang sure!

anyway yeah sorry for the long post, I know I have nothing to do with horses but since the replacement horse lead is a HORSE TACK type of thing of course I need help from the horse people, not the dog people!

I just got my 2 replacement lead snaps in the mail with tons of other random dog related stuff I bought! (Just not always in the dog section per se :p) They came completely lose, not even a tag on them. The website I bought them from has NOTHING written about how to actually use these. I think these are generics the vet supply themselves supplies. Super cheap too, only $2.99 each.

ANYWAY OMG THANK YOU FOR ALL WHO READ THROUGH THIS NOVEL! If anyone helps me figure out how use these correctly I Would be showing you so much freakin’ appreciation !

tl;dr who has used replacement horse lead bolt snap recplacements before???? I can also post the vet supply/animal supplies website I have mentioned that I purchase these off - but dunno if that would be allowed...

AND AGAIN THANKS
Brown Textile Font Material property Pattern
Font Bicycle part Auto part Nickel Metal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Without seeing it up close, you may need to put the lead in and then close it up using a vice that will force the eyelet closed.

Maybe something that's already a closed loop, in case the lead comes out over time?

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Yep, close with a vise. My SILs pittie mixes have snapped the eyes. The ones she bought had a 60 lb test so I'd ask about the rating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the super fast replies guys! I knew there would be some horsey people that would know!

I’m not actually sure we have a vice here... it’s a possibility but IDK. Is there no handheld tool I could you to close them together? If so what would uhh that be called.. lol multiple examples of things that could work would also be cool.

I wish they specified what this took to make it work! Also disappointed with some other things I got from there today but none are horse related. :S

there is a better kind of horse replacement snap on Jeffers but it was $4.99 each instead the kind I bought being $2.99each. $4.99 was name-brand and looked simple as hell to use, I figured the $2.99 would be simple like that too since they look so similiar but, nope. I also think there may be 1 or 2 more kinds of lead rope replacement snaps as well some basic replacement halter snaps which come in a 2 pack in 2 different finishes (think these wouldn’t be as strong tho? On Jeffers)

I always regret that on some items I go for the cheapest ones possible :/Sometimes it works out amazing, other times it’s like ugh if only you would of spent a few more dollars... :’D

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
My husband's hands are probably strong enough to close those with pliers but the easier they are to close by hand the easier they are to break. Once you stress metal like that it will also weaken it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it may work out more expensive in the end...cheap stuff breaks easily, which means it may need to be replaced.

My daughter bought a cheapish horse rug, and 2 steel buckles snapped in half while being tightened...thats just cheap, crappy steel for you...

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
In future you might do better to look at replacement halter snaps that would be used for closing the throatlatch.
Once you remove your broken snap you have a open loop.
You would place the new replacement snap in align with that leash loop and slide/screw that bolt piece through securing it on the other side of the leash loop...

I've used these on many of my halters and they take the abuse of a horses weight and strength and not break easily, unless you have very aggressive dogs with great strength think this would also give you new life to your leashes.
Another place that has these is the link below....same style item.
🐴...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts