The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here to the forum so I apologize in advance if I put this in the wrong area. I have been trying to figure out my (soon to be/eventually mine) horses brand on his left hindquarters. It looks like a flying Y with a T in it or maybe some kind of longhorn??? No idea. He lives at my job in South Austin Texas and was a rescue so we dont know his exact breed, age or origin. He is mutton withered with a very narrow face but has high energy and is extremely intelligent. I think he might be a quarter mix but im not sure. He's too short to be a thoroughbred but not muscular enough to look like a quarter horse. Any help with the brand or breed would be highly appreciated.

Thank you everyone!!!
(PS I attached a picture of him when he got a boo boo on his forehead. He's ok now and completely healed up. No idea what he did but somehow managed to scalp part of his forelock off. Fingers crossed it grow back.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have no idea. I just wanted to say "welcome" to a fellow Austinite.

Also it's cool that your job has a horse living there.

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
Searching by brands is always tough. In Texas it's even harder.

In Texas every county has it's own registry.

I suggest contacting your area brand inspector and get his take on it first.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Looks Appendix Quarter Horse. Or QH with quite a bit of TB in the pedigree. There is no one standard for QHs any longer. Different disciplines have bred for different conformation. For that area there are more QH than anything else.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm thinking this horse is of Spanish descent. Either pure Andalusian/Lusitano or something like Azteca. I don't recognize the brand--but to me it smacks of more Spanish/Mexican than Western stock horse type. Try to find a Facebook group specializing in Andalusians, PREs, Lusitanos--lots of people could help sleuth out some information. You might be able to find out quite a bit. Good luck!

Reactions: COWCHICK77

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
I was going to say, kind of going with Palfrey, the brand looks a lot like the finer more ornate brands the Spanish and Mexicans like to use.

But like boots said, brand search in Texas is tough if it is a registered TX brand.

Good luck!

Reactions: boots

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
It looks like an F and then it could be a sideways flying Y except I am not sure what the extra swoopy things are above and below the F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.