The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hmmm, tried, but can't read the top. Asked a friend (who is usually good at it) but he can't read it either. Darn ...

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
You could google images of western saddlers stamp or saddlers brands

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Try an Old saddle maker “Walter Newell” :)

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MYSTERY SOLVED EVERYONE! There is a terrific website about the old saddlemakers; it includes a collection saddle maker's marks.
Saddle Makers

"Bona Allen Saddlery made the Western Champion brand saddle. The company was founded in 1873 and continued until Tandy Leather bought it in 1970. They made the JC Higgins saddles for Sears as well as other store brands."
Mine is a "western rancher" instead of a champion, but the logos match exactly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MYSTERY SOLVED EVERYONE! There is a terrific website about the old saddlemakers; it includes a collection saddle maker's marks.
Saddle Makers

"Bona Allen Saddlery made the Western Champion brand saddle. The company was founded in 1873 and continued until Tandy Leather bought it in 1970. They made the JC Higgins saddles for Sears as well as other store brands."
Mine is a "western rancher" instead of a champion, but the logos match exactly!

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
So in 2021 dollars, that pony saddle would be $500, and the fancy roper saddle would be about $1200. I guess that probably made these options attainable, but still special, to the kid in 1941 who got something like that for Christmas.

But what I really want is the dog harness and sulky! I think that would be the perfect outlet for my very energetic, 1-yr-old English Shepherd who never gets tired! 🐶

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I wonder if dogs are easier to train to harness than horses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts