The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bought a new mare a few weeks ago... She came with a very mild case of cannon crud (like cradle cap almost on a baby, oily "plugs" on her legs). It's only on her white stockings (3 legs), the chestnut leg is fine.
About 2 weeks ago it seemed to get significantly worse in a few days. Being that I am what I call a "picker", I can't leave things alone. She was funny about me rubbing it off with a soft curry, so I treated it with a DMSO/Furizone combo (by the advice of a friend who said it worked for her, and now I'm kicking myself). It didn't seem to do much to help, and I only used it a few days. But it scabbed (worst on her back legs) and now she's ultra sensitive to me touching it or anything. The scabs look gross and I had the vet out to float her teeth so I asked him about it, but his advice was just to wash in with betadine and it should clear up. I've been doing it for a few days, but I see no difference.

When I bought her she was not handled much (she's young and super green), and she didn't even know how to pick up her feet. So she's already funny about her back legs anyway, so now I can't get near them to do much about the scabs. She won't let me pick at them, and I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions?? ;)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
DMSO/Furizone combo (by the advice of a friend who said it worked for her, and now I'm kicking myself).
DMSO is a carrier. Anything ON the skin when you applied the DMSO will be absorbed into the tissue and the blood stream.

Two of my geldings get the same 'ick' you describe. I use liquid Dreft to wash the legs. I run my hand down to remove any loose hairs - no brushes or curries.

Is the ick from turn out or dirty polos/support boots?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMSO is a carrier. Anything ON the skin when you applied the DMSO will be absorbed into the tissue and the blood stream.

Two of my geldings get the same 'ick' you describe. I use liquid Dreft to wash the legs. I run my hand down to remove any loose hairs - no brushes or curries.

Is the ick from turn out or dirty polos/support boots?
Great..... :( I assume t/o b/c I haven't had polos on her. Any tips on what to do now that there are scabs there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts