The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh boy, did I do a stupid.

Today I was fiddling with my rope halter. I loosened up the fiador knot (the area where a lead rope would attach) just enough so that I could adjust it to make the halter tighter in some places and looser in others. No problem there. For some reason, after I tightened it back up, I had this feeling that I had somehow messed up the fiador knot - something just didn't sit right with me, but looking back on it, I was 100% trying to find a problem where there wasn't a problem - like I had inverted a part of it in the process of loosening and re-tightening. After fiddling with it a few more minutes, my brain told me I simply wouldn't figure it out or fix it without completely taking it apart.

I seriously regret that one impulsive moment.

After that, the fiador knot was just a loose tangle of rope. I was/am not familiar enough with the fiador knot to re-assemble it easily. So what did I do? Took it apart even more. Oh boy. Now there is exactly 0 sense left in this jumble of rope. All the other knots are still done and fine... It's just this one part.

What I've tried: Using Youtube halter-making guides to re-build my mess. Taking apart another rope halter for comparison (ever so slightly, to make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake again). Wrapping rainbow duct tape around one of the ropes so that I can tell one rope from the other, to make comparison easier.

What I really don't want to try, but might as a last resort: Taking apart the other knots in the halter and re-tying it from scratch, so that I have an open end to make looping 50x easier. The thing is, the end of the ropes are ever so beautifully stitched together, and I'd have to cut apart that stitching to do this. I really don't want to do that.

This is mostly a rant to get out my deepest frustrations at myself for making such a stupid, impulsive decision. If you think I, a stingy and stubborn college student, will give up on this halter and move on... HA! One way or another, I will get this halter back together. As a side-note to my rant: if anyone has any tips, I will surely listen.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bravo for even attempting the fiador knot. I never have and don't intend to.
As long as I have a diagram in front of me, I can pull off knots. The hard part about this was having to maneuver all the loops around each other and into the right spots while avoiding the parts that were already tied up in the rest of the halter.

The key was finding this photo. SO much simpler than the one up above. My tangled mess was easy enough to spread out in this pattern, then all I had to do was pull the loops through.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
As long as I have a diagram in front of me, I can pull off knots. The hard part about this was having to maneuver all the loops around each other and into the right spots while avoiding the parts that were already tied up in the rest of the halter.

The key was finding this photo. SO much simpler than the one up above. My tangled mess was easy enough to spread out in this pattern, then all I had to do was pull the loops through.
Uh huh.

I look at that and think "yeah. You'll probably lose a finger and have to go to tractor supply anyway.".

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Ha! I had this issue once after taking one of my rope halters swimming with my horses...came out of the water and the knot had fallen apart...only difference was I never got it back together. Tossed it in the trash, and never ordered that brand of rope halter again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts