The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've ridden the same pony for over a year now. he's very very skittish and spooky and is thought to be abused. usually i can walk right up to him and he won't care, or he'll even walk up to me. i always then give him a cookie and he just stands there when i put the halter on. sometimes i'll get up to him and he could be a little spooked, and suck back a little when i give him a cookie but takes it and comes closer to me.
well about two or so weeks ago we had 4 lessons of good, hard flat work before a show. i caught him fine all of those days, but when i went to go get him for the show he constantly ran away from me. it took us over an hour to catch him to bring him up onto the trailer. my trainer has had me on another horse ever sense because the pony has taught me everything i can riding wise and ever sense we got back from the show i've been riding someone else. so now he hasn't been touched for about two weeks, but i really want to just go out and get him and mess around with him like i can in the summer time (i also haven't been able to just spend time with him because school started and last month i was busy with a lot of shows). well i was hoping to just get on him bareback and mess around (which he loves because we just run around most of the time) but i'm really afraid he's going to run away from me in the pasture. last time i got so so upset about it and i know that he took advantage of that. i don't have the time to spend a whole lot of time in the pasture with him, but i'll have about 30-40 minuets in there, but i don't think chasing him is going to do anything for him. what should i do? i was thinking about bringing a bucket of treats for him. there is also only one other horse in the pasture, when usually there is about 4-5. i really just want the trust we had back and i don't want him running anymore.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Maybe its just because he is being stubborn and knows he is gonna have to work.. My horses will run to me when I whistle... and when they do come I will give them a treat or two.. then I do this for days I ride./.. and the next day/.... depending on which horse.. he won't come.. thinking he will have to work..

Maybe try taking him out( even if he is hard to catch) and just spend some time petting him.. feed some some treats and love on him.. without work..

·
Registered
427 Posts
I try not give my horses treats when I come to get them. I want my horse to come to me on his on will. I show my horses its much easier to come to me then have to get worked in there pen. Soon they get it, they come no hard running around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have worked with several stubborn ponies who don't want to be caught. If they don't want to be haltered, I'll "free lunge" them around for a little, then give them another chance to come up... When they accept, I'll bring them in and groom them sometimes, then put them back without working them. Other times I will work them. It doesn't have to be bad to come inside.

I think your pony is testing you to get out of work, and in his mind it is working (you aren't catching him now as you're riding the other horse). If you have the time, work on catching him, bringing him up, and putting him back...
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.