The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was at an indoor arena and whenever I would get my horse into a lope he would start. Bucking and even going around the poles or barrels he would start bucking I'm going to try switching my blanket and/or saddle just in case it is pinching him somewhere and making it uncomfortable to do those moves.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
If this is a new behavior, pain gets my bet too. Have your vet come out and take a look at your horsie ^^

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Can you give us a little bit more background information?

How old is your horse?
How long has he been running barrels and poles?
How long have you had him?
How often do you ride him and for how long (or distance)?

And some medical questions:
When was the last time his teeth were checked by a dentist?
When is the last time he saw a chiropractor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had him for 4 years he is 12 he was started on poles and barrels when he was 4 had a three year break till I got him I ride every day in the summer for an hour or so and 2-3 days a week in the winter for roughly 2 hours a day he had his teeth done last year and has never saw a chiropractor since I have had him

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Then I would say you need to have him evaluated by an equine lameness vet and a chiropractor.

It's sounds like his bucking fits are something new. Usually when you have a behavior problem like this that is new, it usually means they are in pain somewhere. With an older horse who has run barrels/poles all his life, my first guess would be stifles or hocks.

It could very well be behavioral, but you need to rule out pain. It would be pointless to school him for bucking when it turns out he was bucking because something hurt.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My mare always bucks when I put her into a lope when she is out. I have the chiro adjust her and no more bucking issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.