The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my mom and sister this morning, I was telling them that I would love to have a black mini and name it Pepsicola. My mom said that you couldn't because you would be .... something.... on the pepsi name or something? lol Not sure if anyone will be able to understand this?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
It might be considered trademark infringement, so your mother's correct.

I doubt that PepsiCo would come after you for naming your horse Pepsicola, though.

There was a big Arabian breeder back in the 1980s who named one of their stallions Baskin Robbins. I don't think BR ever sued them. It was free publicity, after all.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. I bet she is concerned about copyright infringement. However, I really don't think that would have any bearing on a horse's name.

Here, go to this site and do a search for Pepsi, it comes up with dozens of names and I am willing to bet that none of them cleared it with the Pepsi company before naming their horses that LOL.
All Breed Pedigree Query

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL yeah I didn't really think anything would really happen if I did! :) And kool link smrobs!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My sister named her cat Pepsi when she was little, and no one came after us! ;) The trademark/copyright is for when others have the potential to make money using the Pepsi name (not like an eventing horse, but like in doing business).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The big companies really don't seem to care when ppl name horses after them, I've seen it done quite a few times. However if that same horse tramples and kill some small children at a million dollar event you may find the company suddenly getting a little upset lol.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahahahahha ^ yeah that might get me sued :)

·
Super Moderator
26,541 Posts
If you are concerned you can always change the spelling. Do something like PepsiKola or Peppsicola... Pepsycola... etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts