The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (Friday night) flipped my truck on some ice and ended up with a concussion and cracked ribs. I'm not allowed to ride Sonny now! I was the only one going out to the ranch and now I cant even ride my horse when I do. To top it off I was suppose to start breaking the other horses out there next week. The money from breaking the horses was going to get me a new truck that I can hitch a trailer to.

Things have gone from average to horrible so quickly and my horse deserves better, what should i do?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Honestly? As soon as your concussion fixes I'd ride- but tape yourself up.

I fractured pretty much all my ribs when I hit a tree jumping- thankfully I had a body protector on, and I still rode through it (albeit on well broke horses, not greenies ;) )providing I taped myself up.. and drugged myself up to the eyeballs.

You could give it a go, I suppose? Or find someone to help you?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
So sorry, I was out for 6 months when my mare fell on me and my right side and tore my whole knee apart. Honestly I know it sucks but I'd wait it out heal up! It's not worth it if your re injure yourself! Or make something worse! ESP if your going to be breaking the babies!

Get yourself healed up, it could have been much much worse!

Hope you start feeling better soon, sore no more works for people, I'd get it, soak a towl in it and lay it over where your hurt for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day and you will at lest be able to move around more with less pain!

You can't help any horse if your that batters up!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Two months :shock:

Honestly, I had a day off, and then after that I started riding again.

How long is your concussion supposed to last for? I'd tape and ride if I were you- you don't know unless you try.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I trust Sonny. The horses I'm breaking are 3 - 9. I have had 8 concussions prior to this and with that history and how severe it was they are worried about a bleed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow touch wood! Never been seriously injured, plenty of time for it still in my twenties. Lol fallen of so many times just get bruised up and battered.

That is a serious concussion I know u need the money.....but you would be putting yourself in serious danger!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Your ribs will tell you when you are overdoing it but the concussion is another thing altogether. I had brain surgery a year ago and had to stop riding for ~2 months. When I got back to it I wore a helmet for a time. As awkward as I felt (I ride western) it was the only way my Dr would clear me to ride.

It isn't the ribs but your head that can be a problem - talk your Dr. about a helmet. You can cowboy up with ribs but your head is nothing to fool with.

Reactions: SorrelHorse

·
Registered
320 Posts
Be careful of the concussion. I fell off my horse on July 22nd and had a severe concussion, my latest memories of this summer were about the middle of September, I don't remember anything except for what I can piece together with Facebook messages and emails I sent/rec'd at that time. I do know that my balance was messed up for a while as well.

Wear your helmet. Getting two concussions in a year can cause more traumatic injury to your brain.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It depends on how bad the concussion is...I had a car accident in November and i hit my head into the windscreen and cracked the glass. What I thought was a mild concussion turned out to be bleeding on my brain and I have been told not to ride for minimum 3 months...well it's been 2 and I bought a horse on Saturday because I NEED to ride.

Some people think a concussion is nothing serious but it really can be. I feel like im ready to ride again though, my headaches have eased and I dont get dizzy anymore.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this is my second serious on but I don't think its worse then my other one I was out for three days with that and couldn't get my head around cartoons when I came too and I was awake for this one but (as I'm sure my Lil sis will atest to soon) I was being bullheaded and didn't go to the hospital right away.

I will probably ride my horse a little but nothing to put myself in danger

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I will probably ride my horse a little but nothing to put myself in danger
An oxymoron. We never intend to put ourselves in danger - but that is part of horses. It happens in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Since you were planning on breaking in several colts, how good are you at ground schooling? I would limit myself to that kind of training for the next 6 months, until you completely heal. DD took a fall several years ago and had to drop gymnastics bc of a concussion--3 months--but she had never had one before. THAT was when she was 10 yo, now she's in Law School. She ALWAYS wears her helmet when we ride/school.
Seriously make lemonade out of this, and learn to make super well behaved horses with awesome ground manners and teach them body language and English cues for EVERYTHING. I'm sure you can get some young guy with lots of testosterone to back them the first time--they are invincible, ya know!
Wear your helmet every time you train from now on--you cannot afford to get hurt again! Watch the weather and stay INSIDE when the roads are icy. I live 22 miles from the nearest (big) town and work--12 years now--so I KNOW about driving in. I avoid it when we get ice storms, like last Friday. (IL, Latitude 39 degrees north.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An oxymoron. We never intend to put ourselves in danger - but that is part of horses. It happens in the blink of an eye.
I know that is the fact of the mater luckily for me, my Sonny is dead broke enough that he is safe. And I wont go out and ride alone

I really dont think it is as bad as they said I think they are just worrying because they dont know my history as well as my Military doctors did.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
What should you do? Well risking a brain hemorrage is not something you should do. Following doctors orders is something you should do.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I rode after my concussion and fractured ribs. Wore a brace tho, but still... I'm an idiot tho lol

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
I have ridden after a concussion as well, doctor didn't say I couldn't. Nuala's doctor advised her not to because she has had 8 previous head injuries, now she risks a brain bleed, scary stuff to me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Again, it all depends on the severity of the injury and how you feel. I sobbed when my Neurosurgeon said I couldnt ride for at least 3 months but I had more than just a concussion, I had bleeds and damage to my brain which takes time to heal. I have bad days, on those days I stay clear of anything dangerous. I do a lot more ground work which in itself is not a bad thing as pointed out earlier!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.