The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please critique my canter? Point out anything you see that I could fix. Don't critique the horse - I know she isn't very forward in this video. She doesn't like cantering in a small arena, that's why she kept breaking into a trot. Usually we ride outside but the footing was bad from rain.

Thank you :)

Millie Canter - YouTube

·
Registered
49,560 Posts
very nice. you are very soft and yet have a nice steady leg. the resolution is not very good, so cannot see details well, but it looks like you might need to get your thumbs on top.

doing that and putting a bit more leg on the horse might help lift her and get some more energy out of her.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
You have a nice seat and look good on the horse. Nice relaxed elbow too, I like that. Only thing I can recommend is to keep your outside leg back more and use a bit of calf pressure, not a lot, just a touch in the down part of his stride to keep him going & rounded.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You have a really nice seat!! I like that you look relaxed and your hands keep in a steady position without moving too much, that's good. I think that you should just remember your seating posture and then you're good - I think.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ok, what I see after just quickly watching:

Yes, you have a pretty quiet seat, and you're on the right track. So that's a HUGE bonus!!
Some things I'd work on, toes forward more, not much, but they pointed out a little to much for me. think "toes to the nose", sometimes you were fine, sometimes not. It looked like when your foot stuck out, is when your horse broke gait.

Another thing is that your arms / shoulders weren't quiet. You definatly weren't flapping like a chicken, lol. They're in the right spot, but they just aren't "solid". You're upper arms aren't against your body, which is causing your forearms and hands to move, as wells as riding palms down.

Overall, I'd say those 2 things are minimal, and you look very nice :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys! I haven't had a lesson in a while so it's nice to know what I need to work on :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your seat is lovely and your hands are nice and steady, but you are not using them as effectively as you could to help the horse maintain the stride in this small space. Your reins look a bit floppy; it's natural to think that if you're having a hard time keeping the horse going forward that you should give them more rein, but it looks to me like the reason the horse breaks stride is because she's heavy on the forehand and falling in, and thus having a difficult time maintaining balance on the tight circle. More contact, with frequent half-halts on the outside rein to balance her back onto her hind end, in combination with a lot more inside leg, will get you a more uphill canter that will work a lot better in a small circle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's something I will definitely consentrate on next time I ride. Thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.