The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall reading someone saying that you shouldn't canter ground poles every day, or at least not two days in a row, because horses needed time to recover afterwards.

Right now, I'm doing ground poles with Pony two days in a row, and the trainer is doing ground poles / low jumps the next day. Then he gets a day off and another lesson, with more ground poles. Then two days off. Do you guys think that's OK? I think it seems like it's fine, but I just wanted to ask others more knowledgeable than I.

And I do mean ground poles, poles that are just lying flat on the ground. We're actually getting a lot better at cantering them, and FWIW I personally feel that he does better on that second lesson day than the first.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
How hard are you working him? If you are using them as a warmup or to get him to pick up his feet. Better his balance. Help develop rhythm and cadence. You don't want long lines, repeated over and over, raised off the ground and worked over the entire ride. You do want to work him over them in each lead each time. You can actually set them in circles and serpentines for variety. No reason not to go over them a couple of times any time you ride. But to work the entire ride, repeatedly, day after day - no.

If you are working on other things, and he is getting breaks then I wouldn't worry.

Is he showing signs of being overworked or sore?

I'd worry more about over jumping. That is or can be common - I'm only jumping low jumps, I'm only jumping a few jumps each time, he needs to jump the jump lane to teach him.... you hear those often. Jumping is hard on a horse better to be conservative than go all out.

Not saying pony is being over jumped just a note to make.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 45 minute lesson, with I'd say maybe 5-10 minutes of cantering. After a short warmup, it's all poles, but mostly at the trot. The trot poles are in large circles, and we do figure eights switching directions over a middle pole. Right now for cantering, we're cantering all around the arena, and there are single ground poles at each end.

I had tried one lesson cantering him in 20-meter circles over ground poles, but I couldn't keep up the impulsion and we both sort of fell apart. So I'm trying to get us good at this relatively simple exercise right now. It's actually been really good for us as a team, figuring out how to keep a steady cadence over the poles, and especially me figuring out what combination of leg and contact I need to keep him going and held together.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
That to me is a bit much especially if that often. I'd be looking for more variety and less poles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts