The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I'm understanding, what constitutes a beautiful canter varies somewhat by discipline. I was wondering if anyone might be able to post a video or two that shows what they consider a really beautiful canter, and explain what they see in it that makes it so good.

I've been watching a lot of cantering lately, and some of it looks strange to me. But I don't know if it's because my eye hasn't been trained or because the horses are a little off or something. Or because what constitutes a beautiful canter in one discipline might be considered wrong in another?

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I am "just" a trail rider, but I like a horse that moves out nicely and has a good 3 beat canter. What bugs me the most, with some show-ring canters, is the horse goes SO slow, and horses can't levitate, so they put an extra beat in there that just looks wrong to me.

This is a video about how to sit the canter, but it was one of the first ones that I pulled up on You-tube and I like the canter this horse does. To me, this is a normal, good canter:

This is the kind of canter I dislike (no offense to those who like it, I just personally can't stand it). If my horse did this out riding I would jump off and wonder what's wrong with him or her:

When I see a horse doing that, first I wonder if they are sound and secondly I think "horses can't levitate, let the horse move a little bit."

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I really love the way the bull-fighting horses are trained to move. They have the most beautiful, collected canters. (Not promoting bull fighting in any way.....I just admire the horses).

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
I dislike a collected canter. If you are cantering, you ought to be covering ground. Also, a collected canter causes the horse's back to move more. Probably prefer something closer to this:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@trailhorserider thanks! I have actually felt like I'm bouncing at the canter lately, so I'm definitely going to re-watch that video with that in mind.

The second video. OMG.
:eek_color:

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,077 Posts
I dislike a collected canter. If you are cantering, you ought to be covering ground. Also, a collected canter causes the horse's back to move more.
I think it really depends on the horse. My lease horse has a very comfortable, round, lovely, easy to sit collected canter. When she has a bigger, more ground-covering stride, it's a bouncy mess to try to sit to. She's a warmblood with a big body and long back, though, and when she really gets going, there's a lot of "thump" in her canter.

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
It so depends on the horse. my most recent horse (leased) had a short, upright canter, a bit like an eggbeater. Before him, I rode a large horse, with a powerful, deep canter. Neither one could canter any way but the way they did naturally. Both had their challenges to ride.

That 'lope' video is a bit of a shocker. How anyone could consider that even correct enough to teach other people is beyond me.

The 'endurance' video is fun. Must be India. Those are Marwari horses.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Why not both anyway? I like collected canters and a hand gallop- which is a more ground covering canter. Collected canter doesn't mean slow either- the horse just shortens up his/her frame. It can be a very nice rhythmic beat yet still pretty quick- you just have more control. I prefer collected gaits for arena work and more ground covering hand gallops/cantering out in the field. I've been on 'ground covering' canters in arenas...it's not too nice and those corners come up very fast.
Collection in any gait can teach balance for both the rider and horse. I find that teaching collection teaches a horse to 'pay attention' to you a little more.
A good horse can do both--a good horse is one that listens.

This is a recent video I watched:
@6:40 @11:30 @17:25 (no bridle) shows a canter that I like,it's fast enough but still put together canter. Ideally I'd want a horse that can do this. This is my ideal speed and I love this rhythm.

Also disclaimer- no one do this unless they have the experience and the godly seat this guy does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts