The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't cantered my horse in forever and im completely out of shape for it and am running into a problem. I can't keep my butt in the saddle so I tend to get in two point at the canter. What tips can you give that would help get me to be able to sit the canter. My old instructor, who seemed to have dissappeared off the face of the earth told me to sit back when cantering. I've also been told to hold the back of the saddle but that is not a option at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would not hold the back of the saddle - dangerous. I know you are going to hate this, but the answer is in your trot! Learn to get deep in the saddle during trot and it will be totally natural in canter. Do rising trot, sitting trot, rising, sitting - and lots of it. When you go to canter, sit trot for about 10 seconds prior to asking for canter, and I know this sound rude but.... push your boobs out and lower your shoulders. Then just sit and try to 'go with the movement' - be as relaxed as possible. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the exercises I did on saturday. I walked then did a round of sitting trot then a round of posting both directions then trotted the long side and walk short side. So thats what Ive been working on so far..my horses attention span is very short so I try to mix things up a bit
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, unless you are holding with both hands (and I think anyone could see that that would be particularly dangerous), then you are twisting your upper body to hold on to the back of the saddle, meaning you are unbalanced, and probably throwing your horse off- balance too. I should imagine that the lack of control while holding on to the back of your saddle would also be obvious, and finally, I can not imagine one reason why this would help anyone with their canter anyways.

·
Premium Member
12,841 Posts
Holding the back of the saddle would almost have to stiffen your back. I'm no expert in catering, not by a very long shot, but "stiff" and "riding" are words that don't fit well into a sentence. A loose back allowing the hips to roll seems pretty important to me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got done riding and did posting sittng and two point and ill admit im stiff and not as soft and supple as id like and part of it is back issues im having. But I have been feeling really good the last two weeks and my backs doing great and the more ive been riding the more supple im starting to feel
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
48,990 Posts
YOur horse might have a canter that is harder to sit to than some. Horses vary a lot on this. One image that helps me to sit down INTO Mac is to think of myself as riding INSIDE his barrel, like my seatbones being 6 inches inside his body. If that were so, I would have to move with him.

I suck at two point!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I cant sit a canter to any horse though..theres been maybe two and thats it cuz. when I start to canter I tend to lean forward as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
I'm guessing you ride english and I'm not even going to pretend like I know anything about it but I'm assuming the basics are the same.

It sounds like your feet might be behind you. This would cause you to roll off of your seat bones up onto your crotch, stiffen your lower back and push your upper body forward.

I see a lot of people who try to ride the front of the horse at the lope. You have to ride the back of the horse as if your driving him with your seat and you can't do that with your feet behind you. Your back has to be straight yet loose to move and help drive him. You said that your having back problems, even though you feel your getting better you may have some muscle memory (stiffness) remaining that is keeping you from staying relaxed. This would also cause you to roll forward then push your feet behind you.

Having someone video your ride may help considerably.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I used to have a bad chair seat but I have gotten better. It causes my legs to go in front not behind me. Funny you mention the riding on the crotch cuz my old instructor wanted me riding more on the crotch..i try to ride in the middle ( if that makes since) not too much on my crotch and not on my butt.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I remember how I learned to sit the canter... I did it over, and over, and over again haha. Sucks when you first start to learn to sit it because your horse doesn't want you flopping on its back and is therefore reluctant to canter.

Try going from a sitting trot into the canter... focus on how it feels the first few strides of the canter when you are WITH your horse, and then if you start to flop, focus on what caused it. What step did the horse make that caused you to come out of the saddle?

Also, if you say you are going into 2-point, you are probably pushing on your stirrups, which will put weight in the wrong places. Use your legs to PULL yourself down in the saddle... make yourself heavier (figuratively, of course). Keep your heels down. Focus on staying upright - not leaning forward or backward.

Any chance you can post some videos for more customized critique?

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Ok so I used to have a bad chair seat but I have gotten better. It causes my legs to go in front not behind me. Funny you mention the riding on the crotch cuz my old instructor wanted me riding more on the crotch..i try to ride in the middle ( if that makes since) not too much on my crotch and not on my butt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol, well crap, I probably shouldn't offer advice on a discipline I know nothing about! :)

I can identify with riding with your legs shoved out in front. I used to have the horrible habit of pushing my legs out front and bracing myself against my cantle board. Still 20 some-odd years later I fight the urge to do it when I get nervous!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If you want to fix your canter problems, work at the canter.

How are you going to learn how to do something, if you never do it?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been working on cantering. I cantered today was so excited my horse did great. I worked on cantering while trying to sit the canter and also in two point, and did sitting a posting trot as well. Also worked on relaxing and suppleness
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never said I dont canter. I do its just always in a two point since I am not very good at sitting. Ive been working (mostly at trot) on developing a better position and relaxing and trying to not be stiff
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.