The Horse Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
A jumping position is two - point. They are one and the same. Riding around a course one should be in a forward seat, half seat or three - point (all three terms mean the same thing). Practicing a two point on the flat helps to strengthen the legs but it should really only be used in a gallop, or over a fence, otherwise the half seat should be used.
Two-point or "jumping position":

Three point or "half seat":

·
Registered
102 Posts
A jumping position is two - point. They are one and the same. Riding around a course one should be in a forward seat, half seat or three - point (all three terms mean the same thing). Practicing a two point on the flat helps to strengthen the legs but it should really only be used in a gallop, or over a fence, otherwise the half seat should be used.
Two-point or "jumping position":

Three point or "half seat":
I agree that jumping position can be the same as two-point, but it can also be different. Compare your two-point picture to this:

So like I mentioned before, I was taught there was a difference. There is more of a closed hip angle and more of a release than the two-point

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Ananbel--The second picture is not showing up for me
Uma--your first picture isnt showing up either.

Is anyone else having problems with the pictures? I would love to see them so it is easier to follow the thread and learn as well. :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
On my home computer, I can see both of Anabels now, but still cant see your first Uma. Guess thats what I get for looking at stuff at work!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Ok. This is what I learned under an Olympic and WEG level eventer and an international dressage judge this weekend:

Three point: full dressage seat. It has little place in jumping because the horse's back is hindered by the rider.

Half Seat/light brushing seat: Used on the approach to the jump when you're half halting and changing the stride so the horse is more on their hind end, ready to jump.

Two point: jumping position or what you use around a stadium jumping course

Galloping seat: standing up in your irons but closing your hip angle to become aerodynamic so the horse can gallop up from underneath you on the XC course.

Balancing seat: galloping seat with the shoulders brought up so your leg is more under you as you are approaching the incial set up of the jump.

You should never sit much when jumping a horse unless you're saying HEY LISTEN HERE BUDDY! Even then, you should be able to in the galloping seat. When you're sitting on the horse's back, you're hindering their movements. Why do we use jumping position over jumps? To free the horse's back as they're jumping, so why wouldn't we do this on the flat in between jumps? There is a definite difference in the way my horse moves when I'm sitting on his back and when I'm in two point. He can use his back, therefore, the jump is better, and actually cleaner, AND I'm more secure so that I'm not going to fall off because my leg is strong and underneath me.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts