The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clydesdale car

Hey guys, me and my family own a Clydesdale horse called Gimine and some other mares. Just a few days ago, I went to run an errand when I found Gimine sitting on the roof of our Skoda Octavia, his forward feet on the bonnet of the car. Upon closer inspection I realised that he was trying to scratch an itch on the roof of the car. He has never gone to these lengths before although we have caught him rarely attempting to sit on the bonnet. It seems that he had defecated and urinated on the car as well (My suspicious is that Gimine is in heat). If anybody has any idea as to what other reasons such as lameness or others are the cause of it, do let me know. It is also worth noting that he is segregated from the other mares and is the single horse of his breed in the paddock. He has not been castrated as is my reason for keeping him separate from our mares.

I understand that people may not believe me and spam me with criticism but if they want proof, I have taken pictures of the damaged vehicle (Images to the insurer) and a quick photo of Gimine climbing on the bonnet of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's ironic that I was told by a vet is that this is the likely reason. It looks like I may have been quoted incorrect information

Because Gimine is the only breed of his kind on my ranch we decided to have him free-roam through the estate. I understand that horses can have mood swings demonstrated from time to time if they are lonely. Our Skoda was originally parked under a veranda that Gimine couldn't get to. Because we are currently installing solar panels we had to move the car out into an open area.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
What's ironic that I was told by a vet is that this is the likely reason. It looks like I may have been quoted incorrect information

Because Gimine is the only breed of his kind on my ranch we decided to have him free-roam through the estate. I understand that horses can have mood swings demonstrated from time to time if they are lonely. Our Skoda was originally parked under a veranda that Gimine couldn't get to. Because we are currently installing solar panels we had to move the car out into an open area.
I could see it if he were a cat. Cats do this behavior, horses don't. Male horses do not go into heat. They are opportunists, males don't cycle like females do in the equine world. Males will mark their territory, to signal to other males that it's theirs by defecating. People call them stud piles.

There are also some horses that will poo in their water buckets and such but it's not a gender thing or even having to do with mating at all. They just do it.

Is the horse gelded? If yes, there is really no reason to keep him separate from other horses regardless of his breed. Unless he is too big and aggressive towards the other horses.

I personally would move the car or keep the horses away from it. He could hurt himself and I certainly wouldn't want my car ruined by a horse sitting and scratching himself on it. But then, that's me. I can't afford to let a horse use my car for a scratching post or extra veterinary bills.

Reactions: waresbear

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the horse gelded? If yes, there is really no reason to keep him separate from other horses regardless of his breed. Unless he is too big and aggressive towards the other horses.

I personally would move the car or keep the horses away from it. He could hurt himself and I certainly wouldn't want my car ruined by a horse sitting and scratching himself on it. But then, that's me. I can't afford to let a horse use my car for a scratching post or extra veterinary bills.
Gimine isn't actually gelded and that's the reason why I decided to keep him separate from the others. So far Gimine has been quite tranquil with the other mares.

The car can't actually be moved currently since the weight of Gimine on the bonnet has basically broken the engine mounts. The car is a Skoda Octavia Wagon from 2014. So I didn't mind him trying to sit on the bonnet. The vet I took Gimine to checked up him and he wasn't hurt as such. There were some pieces of the front radiator stuck in his hoof but it wasn't something that would impact his ability to walk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir, that would be a mare not a male horse
That might have been my bad since I may have forgotten to mention the gender of the Clyde. I presumed the application would still be the same, since as you said male horses don't poo under heat like a mare.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
That might have been my bad since I may have forgotten to mention the gender of the Clyde. I presumed the application would still be the same, since as you said male horses don't poo under heat like a mare.
Well, actually you did mention it several times by calling him "he, and him"

A mare is not a male horse and male horses do not go into heat.

A mare is an adult female horse
a stallion is an adult male horse
a gelding is a castrated horse rendering them incapable of producing offspring.

Reactions: waresbear

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Can you just have him gelded and them put him in the pasture with the mares? Seems like he might be lonely, and stallions can have destructive behaviors. Horses don't like to be by themselves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, actually you did mention it several times by calling him "he, and him"

A mare is not a male horse and male horses do not go into heat.
Not in the email or appointment information I did not when I took him to the vet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not in the email or appointment information I did not when I took him to the vet.
I was actually referring to the information I got from the practitioner, about why he was doing that. The extract of the report stating the things a mare does under heat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you just have him gelded and them put him in the pasture with the mares? Seems like he might be lonely, and stallions can have destructive behaviors. Horses don't like to be by themselves.
I always had the intent on purchasing a mare for him but that never fell through with the COVID-19 pandemic. I will have to wait until restrictions die down before I can see to it. Too me Gimine isn't exactly lonely. He is the prime definition of a gentle giant, especially to my children. Just like how he interacts with us as his buddies we interact with him like we're his family. I'm sure that Gimine wasn't being destructive at all, just slight overplayful.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Perhaps you could proofread your replies before sending them. Some of your posts are very confusing.

"Well aware of that. I think I mentioned that he was gelded a few replies backwards" Do you mean WASN'T gelded?
"Not in the email or appointment information I did not when I took him to the vet." I can't even guess what you meant there.

Bored horses can be highly destructive. I saw a herd of horses casually tear apart a jeep parked in their pasture once. Just amusing themselves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps you could proofread your replies before sending them. Some of your posts are very confusing.

"Well aware of that. I think I mentioned that he was gelded a few replies backwards" Do you mean WASN'T gelded?
"Not in the email or appointment information I did not when I took him to the vet." I can't even guess what you meant there.
\

Yeah I know. Just trying to respond as fast as possible with the volume of comments coming at a particular time. Sometimes I really confuse myself. I almost never use the word gelded, rather castrated. Basically I had two pieces of information sent to the vets before they actually did the inspection. Firstly I didn't take into account the gender and age of Gimine when I sent it over.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bored horses can be highly destructive. I saw a herd of horses casually tear apart a jeep parked in their pasture once. Just amusing themselves.
True but this wasn't exactly boredom. Pretty much loneliness. Keep in mind that the herd of the horses you were talking about followed suite with what the first one did.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Is your horse a gelding or a stallion? In post #1 "He has not been castrated as is my reason for keeping him separate from our mares." This would surely cause a problem with allowing him to freely roam the estate as you mentioned in your second post. You have him separate because he is uncastrated yet he is free to roam where he can bust down fencing should he so choose. (Odd) Also in your 4th post you say "Gimine isn't actually gelded and that's the reason why I decided to keep him separate from the others." So this would STILL cause a problem with allowing him to roam the estate and he is still being stated as an uncastrated stallion.

And in your 8th post you say "I think I mentioned that he was gelded a few replies backwards" When in fact you had said (as I quoted before that he was NOT castrated and that is why he is separated (but still free to roam?)

Then in your 9th post you state "I always had the intent on purchasing a mare for him but that never fell through with the COVID-19 pandemic." So again he is an ungelded stallion who you intended to buy a mare for even though there are mares on the property that he is being kept separate from.

And then this post "True but this wasn't exactly boredom. Pretty much loneliness. Keep in mind that the herd of the horses you were talking about followed suite with what the first one did." Definitely boredom and loneliness and yet you are saying that the rest of the herd followed suit and did the same thing to the car. How would they have been able to do that if they are all separated due to him being an ungelded stallion?

I am not trying to point fingers but your information is a bit confusing and contradicting so I am having a bit of trouble believing that this story actually did happen. If it did my apologies but you need to get your posts worded a bit better so that we can actually help you out with the situation.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am confused as well. You said he was NOT castrated. Then later go on to say he IS.

Is your horse castrated or not?

It would help to know exactly yes or no so we can advise correctly :) I understand that maybe it was a typo but if you would confirm would be helpful!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is your horse a gelding or a stallion? In post #1 "He has not been castrated as is my reason for keeping him separate from our mares." This would surely cause a problem with allowing him to freely roam the estate as you mentioned in your second post. You have him separate because he is uncastrated yet he is free to roam where he can bust down fencing should he so choose. (Odd) Also in your 4th post you say "Gimine isn't actually gelded and that's the reason why I decided to keep him separate from the others." So this would STILL cause a problem with allowing him to roam the estate and he is still being stated as an uncastrated stallion.

And in your 8th post you say "I think I mentioned that he was gelded a few replies backwards" When in fact you had said (as I quoted before that he was NOT castrated and that is why he is separated (but still free to roam?)

Then in your 9th post you state "I always had the intent on purchasing a mare for him but that never fell through with the COVID-19 pandemic." So again he is an ungelded stallion who you intended to buy a mare for even though there are mares on the property that he is being kept separate from.

And then this post "True but this wasn't exactly boredom. Pretty much loneliness. Keep in mind that the herd of the horses you were talking about followed suite with what the first one did." Definitely boredom and loneliness and yet you are saying that the rest of the herd followed suit and did the same thing to the car. How would they have been able to do that if they are all separated due to him being an ungelded stallion?

I am not trying to point fingers but your information is a bit confusing and contradicting so I am having a bit of trouble believing that this story actually did happen. If it did my apologies but you need to get your posts worded a bit better so that we can actually help you out with the situation.
I could always send you a picture of the damage to the car if that helps. I am in a bit of shock that this happened as it all happened so sudden. I had to get the vet check-up done straight the next day which is all but rushed. This forum page was on the same day as the vet check-up so it is all rush work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts