The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a car-washing sponge and was wondering if it is safe to use on a horse? Thanks :)!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have even used those funky mitt ones that have all the little tassels and look like a rug. Didn't work too well on the horse, probably would have been better off just using my hands but I use the big yellow sponges all the time.

Reactions: Meadow

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Can't see why it would make a difference what the sponge was originally designed for, so long as it's not one of those "infused" ones that are full of cleaners/polishers/whatever that you may not want on your horses coat. Theoretically it would be safe for skin contact nonetheless (as who wears gloves while using a sponge to wash their car?), but nonetheless I don't think that it'd be a good thing consider a horses coat is a lot different than our hands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not the usual yellow, the store didn't have any, they only had colored ones. Does color matter or does it harm the horse?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd just rinse it first to ensure any dyes come out, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem - a manufactured sponge of any colour will be dyed in the end unless you find one the natural white/cream colour of natural man made foam.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
It's not the usual yellow, the store didn't have any, they only had colored ones. Does color matter or does it harm the horse?
Okay not intending to be mean, but my first thought on reading this was:

The colour only matters if you are washing a bay with a pink sponge, a grey with a purple sponge or a black with any dull coloured sponge. They'll clash! :lol::lol:

Happy horse washing, Meadow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.