Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a friend at our barn who is caring for a gray horse with several large melanomas. Several are under her tail, and now are beginning to rupture. This is the second horse at a barn I've stabled at that I've seen with this problem, but since neither of them were mine, I haven't had direct experience caring for this. I know it is putting a band aid on a much larger problem, but any help keeping this horse comfortable and happy as long as possible would be much appreciated.

What are the best techniques and products to use on a horse with problem.

The vet is coming to look at her on Friday, but I know this forum's depth of experience can be priceless.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
With my horse I just keep the area clean with as little trauma to the area as possible. So no hard scrubbing or chemicals. I just use plain water and rinse the area. Basically you do not want to "**** the melanomas off" if that makes any sense. That is how I feel about it and what I do. I would suspect in the meantime you could call the Vet and ask what you can safely do until the visit.

I have also used Cimetadine before to try to reduce them when they have ruptured. It is expensive and has to be given three times a day, and the studies are really all over the place as to if it works or not. I thought it might have reduced the size of my horses when I used it for about 3 months but I don't know for sure. Talk to the Vet about it.

Also heard that frankinsense (sp) oil works to be sprayed on the area. I tried that also with no improvement noted.

When they rupture they can be a mess, but like I said I try to be careful not to irritate the area or get aggressive with cleaning them. I also do not braid, tie or use a tail bag so as not to cause any irritation to the area.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
We use daily MSM and it worked wonders for the tumors under our mares tail. Really shrunk them. We also tried Cimetidine and had little to no effect so we quite giving it.

The ruptures we treat as any other open wound. Just keep clean and dry if possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
good luck. The arab mare i had that developed a lot of melanomas under her tail and they ruptured one summer, and it was a mess. I had to use spray for cattle wounds that repels the flies. She got so bad that we had to have her put down. Upon the disposal of her, when the Vet opened her, he let us know that she was full of tumors internally , that were pressing and covering nerves and cutting off blood supply , and invading other organs .

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
In addition to everything @lightning said, they might talk with the vet about surgical removal, though that will depend on where they are growing and whether or not the horse is worth the effort. I've had quite a few surgically removed from my gray because his are like that, they grow quickly and rupture and then never heal. After removal, he heals great and I haven't had any come back in the same place.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You could try a little coconut oil if they are weeping/draining. It would at least help with a more gentle clean up procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.