The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young gelding that will not let me near him since the farrier attempted to halter him, then ended up hanging from his neck and would not let go as the gelding ran around the barn like a chicken with his head cut off. How do I regain his trust ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Time and patients! Don't try and rush anything take your time with him. Work with him in the round pen some. Have you ever heard of the Pat Parelli 7 games? Maybe try that with him, it worked for me on building trust with my filly.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I agree with the others. If you had his full trust before you would not have been able to lose it so easily.
Work on getting him to feel comfortable around you. Spend time just touching him, brushing him and even bringing him treats (only give them to him when he comes to you and stands as a reward. don't bribe him).
Take the time it takes so that it takes less time. If you don't the problem could escalate to the point where it could take hours to tire him out and catch him.
Bring the rope & halter with you. Spend time just putting it on and off and walking away.
Then when you have him, take him for a walk around the pen & turn him loose, Or brush him or take him out for grass.
Give him a reason to look forward to seeing you and he will come running every time.

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
He's got your number. If you scout this site you will see where I have posted a method that works but you can't be in a hurry to have it work. It is all about circling behind the horse and suddenly getting it to move. The more you push a horse away, ie make it move and it doesn't have to be fast, the more it will want to be with you but it has to be done correctly.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Time and patients!
Just have to ask, how many patients do you need??:lol:

Couldn't help myself - that's up there(or is it their) with expresso(fast??) coffee & trimming heals.:p

·
Registered
531 Posts
work less on trying to catch him and just spend time in his pasture with him. Having some treats with you will help him to want to come and see you when you are in the pasture.
As for the issue with the farrier, it would seem to me there was something else that was causing his behavior. Does he act like this a lot? Was your farrier handling your horse poorly? Have you ask yourself why your horse reacted to the farrier this way?

To everyone else, If there are any miss spelled words sorry :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.