The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working a 3 year old filly, and she is a little hard turning to the right. I thought if I had her follow a cow she'd get softer. I did it for about 1 hour, and eventually there was a noticeable change. Should I continue this practice? Is there any bad habits I should look for? Answers appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,233 Posts
It's nice that she follows a cow well. Not sure if it will carry over to general riding, though.

I'm sure you would like her to be responsive regardless of what you are doing.

While I personally think easy work on cattle is good for a horse's brain, I think your filly may be well served by continued "dry" work. Sometimes I utilize natural obstacles like trees, brush, or rocks to reinforce turning to the stiffer side. I do very, very little arena or corral work.

Just another option. Lots of ways to do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you're saying. And you make a point. I did alot of left turns on her, around her pen and she got really light. I thought if I gave her something to do, while reinforcing right turns she'd get it better. And eventually, she did plenty of turns nicely, and made alot of turns on her own. We were just walking behind the cow.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am a big believer in "give the horse a job". I also believe in the horse being able to perform dry work. I think most horses can realize that there is a purpose to the dry work when you can let them work a cow, I say keep it up

good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll continue to do so, thanks! I hope to eventually get more and more turns, at a faster pace.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Don't ask for too much re weightbearing & high impact if the horse is only 3yo. Ensure that it's not pain, from saddle, bit or otherwise that is causing her to be 'one sided'. Yes, if you ask for something when she's ready & willing to do it - be that following a cow or otherwise, you're more likely to get it softly & easily, so more opportunity to reinforce the Right behaviour.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe she was one sided at first, because I started her on the left turns. I never practiced much to the right. She's doing very well both sides now though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.