The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i joined pony club and i was wondering if it is okay to use a close contact saddle in dressage (low level) so i dont have to but a dressage saddle.

ALSO
it is okay to use a Dr. Bristol bit in low level dressage?

thanks
VB

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
At least in eventing and local shows, I have found that it is totally ok to use a close contact saddle if you do not have another saddle. I use my CC for dressage all the time. It's just hard because it doesn't put you in the right position.

Dr. Bristol bits are approved, from what I understand

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You CAN show in a CC saddle. I do, even at the one rated show I did! But you should consider what your priority will be, dressage or jumping. (assuming you have a CC b/c you jump) Use what will be most beneficial for you. I do dressage to help my horse's jump better and give them time in the show ring. At this point in my life I don't care if I never master a piaffe and I don't care about the looks I get in brown tack! But if I really wanted to be serious about dressage I'd invest in another saddle.

I think Dr Bristols used to be illegal but were recently legalized? I'm not the one to ask about that... a rule book should say somewhere though!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
This is me at the USDF Jr/YR team championships... in a Pessoa ;)
The judges don't care as long as you get the job done!

15.jpg

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Dr. Bristol bits are illegal at nationally rated shows. Events sanctioned by other groups (ie not EC or USEF) may follow different rules. Check them.
In compettions sanctioned by the FEI, "dressage type" saddles are required. Again, check the rules of your sanctioning body.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
The way it is positioned in the horses mouth, the edge of the plate puts direct pressure onto the horses tongue. Where the French Link lays flat on the horses tongue.

In my opinion, a Dr Bristol is a harsher bit.

When this bit is in use, horses can learn to tuck their heads in to avoid the pressure of the bit, so in sense, the hores learns to evade the pressure from the pressure on the tongue that this particular mouth piece gives.

I remember seeing a horse at a HT with blood coming from his mouth. When the vet did an asessment, it was in result to the Dr Bristol mouth piece in the poor creatures mouth, from how harsh his riders hands were out on the CC course.

I dislike this mouthpiece very, very much.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I think I'm confused about the names of bits - I thought the bit with the flat plate in the middle was the French Link, and the bit with just the extra joint was a Dr. Bristol?

I've never used the flat plate in the middle, but have a variety of what I call Dr. Bristols, two with copper rollers in the middle section which are my very favorite bits. Obviously not legal for dressage as a bi-metal bit, but still one of my very favorites.

I wasn't aware that the flat plate in the middle one could be abused in that fashion, but that's good to know.

Huh - I just Googled both names, and got both types back on the search. So apparently those names aren't universally applied.

Sorry for the digression, I was concerned that someone thought my favorite bits were horrible.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember seeing a horse at a HT with blood coming from his mouth. When the vet did an asessment, it was in result to the Dr Bristol mouth piece in the poor creatures mouth, from how harsh his riders hands were out on the CC course.
any bit could have done that if it was from the harshness of riders hands.....

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
I dunno, Vanilla.

I can't imagine making a horse's mouth bleed with a loose ring snaffle or a rubber dee.

The only bit I've ever seen make a horse's mouth bleed is the dreaded double twisted rider.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I dislike Dr Bristol bits very much. They belong in the twisted wire category or any bit that belongs in the "harsh" category.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.