The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say hi and give a little of my horsey background. :D I grew up taking lessons in hunter/jumper when I could scrape together enough babysitting money (my parents weren't in favor of me riding sadly). I was addicted to horses as far back as I can remember!

In my early adult years it was hard to get around horses much less ride since I was going to school, work, starting a family, but I managed here and there.

In my late 30s I finally had a little land in the country!! I figured that owning a horse I'd need to know more than I did just going out to ride someone's horse for an hour lesson so I found a local "trainer" (I use quotes because I'm new-ish to horses, certainly to training them, but I'm a professional dog trainer so I know something about training theories and to me anyone that gut kicks a horse for fidgeting a little bit when clipping fetlocks or YANKS savagely enough on a bit to leave the corners of the horse's mouth skinned and raw is NOT a true trainer!!) willing to let me lend a hand at the stable in return for teaching me a few things.

After awhile she said she knew a guy that was looking for a home for some of his OTTBs so we agreed to go look at them if she could come with us to give her more experienced opinion. At the end we were assured by the owner and "trainer" that the gelding we really liked would a) be fine for light riding with some pasture rest (bowed tendon) and b) was DEAD BROKE since he and others rode these horses all over the place, not just at the racetrack. We went from the owner's house straight to the vet who agreed, the bow wasn't bad and he would be fine for riding with about 6 months of pasture rest. Got him home, he lost his mind finding himself all alone, we immediately went back to the owner and picked up the mare he was looking to give away, brought her home, and everything was fine :p

7 months later (because we waited for our farrier to watch him walk to double check that he seemed recovered enough from his bow to be ridden) we saddled him up, went through a bunch of stuff testing first (you know, flapping the stirrups around, pulling the saddle back and forth, putting a little weight just in one stirrup then back down...) I got up on him and he walked a nervous, hesitant little circle around and I got down. We only wanted to see where his training was really at to get an idea of where to begin with him. My husband got on, did half a little circle when the horse exploded. My husband was in the hospital for two months with shattered ribs and took about two years to really fully recover. When I did the same with the mare she went buckin and fartin across the pasture just when I put a little weight in one stirrup! Yeah, dead broke :wink:

Fast forward... We rehomed the mare with a nice family who knew more than us about training and she's become a nice ride for them. We took in a donkey rescue then rehomed him with the neighbors who really needed a full size to help protect his little mini-donk from coyotes and such. We took in a great little mustang/QH gelding (bout 7 yrs I think) for my husband and a slightly older paso mare for me (about 20 yrs now). Then, because the mare is still good but gets a little tender in the joints sometimes we think, we got me a younger riding horse, a paint/TB gelding (just turned 4 yrs). With the OTTB gelding (who is really a pasture pet mostly but will let me get on bareback and walk about a bit now and then) that makes 4 in our little herd!

We're just trying to get our riding skills back up and to eventually just do some casual riding for pleasure and trails now. This place has a lot of great information and I'm always eager to learn more so thanks for being here! :D

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum! MANY of us are from Texas, myself included ;) I'm from the Houston/Katy area but quite a few are from Central Texas. Come check us out on the Texas Horse Friend chat thread and meet the crew!

Also, we're very picture-happy on this forum. If you have any pictures of your horses we'd love to see them!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone :) I'll definitely try to get pics up if I can figure out how!

I'm glad my husband's accident didn't turn him against horses too. He's wonderful though and understands that it's not the horse, Brother's, fault. He never blamed Brother for it. It was actually our paso mare, Tina, who got him back into the saddle! Tina was badly abused before we got her (treated very rough, had her mouth completely torn up by a bit :cry:) so is an odd personality. She's rather sour on people, not a "pocket horse" at all, and still takes a VERY gentle touch so she doesn't get too nervous but she's about as close to dead broke as I've seen and so much fun to ride at her gait! My husband started on her when he healed some to gain some of his confidence back and Tina took the best care of him :D

One of the many things we're working on is getting Tina to partner with us more actively. She'll do anything we ask really but it's more because she's afraid NOT to to some extent because of her background. We would like her to be more relaxed and confident. They're all works in progress, hm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I figured out how to use the "Horses" tab on the posts and tossed a quick pic up of each of my babies anyway. Had to get two of Brother so people could see his trick! He "smiles" on cue :lol: We allow children with special needs to come be with our horses. Even though we don't allow anyone up on Brother he still contributes to the program since children just love asking him to smile for a cookie!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts