The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, April 1st, Chance is getting her shoes put on for her navicular bone injury... They have to pull her toe way back, then put eggbutt? Shoes on her with a lifted heel in order to make it easier and less strainuous for her to move. Since its gonna be such a change for her im gonna wait a week before getting on her. But wish us luck!

If shoes dont help then we are gonna send her to the big equine vets in New england and get her ultra sounded and what not. She means to much to just let her be in pain. This past month of just being together has strengthened the bond between us BIG time, so I feel like I owe it to her to try and get her comfortable.

So basically were putting her sale on hold untill further notice. We can't just sell her with her being unsound and not even sure why. I also think I can deal with her being a flat work horse for a while. The vet said she WILL heal, its just the amount of time depends on what exactlys going on. We've had A LOT of firsts together and I feel theres gonna be many more. But if the right horse DOES come along, Im gonna take it. I dont want to take any chances ;)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Do you mean eggbar shoes? I may be wrong, i've just never heard of eggbutt shoes. Lol. Best of luck, I hope she feels better soon! :]]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe xD!! Hense the ?? after it. I just kinda wrote what name came to my head. But yeah most likely thats what I ment. :p I know nothing about shoes anyways. lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
hope she fells better soon as well. good luck with finding the right horse

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I'm sure you mean eggbar shoes. They come full circle around the bottom of the hoof instead of having an open end in the back.

I wish you and Chance the best!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Maybe xD!! Hense the ?? after it. I just kinda wrote what name came to my head. But yeah most likely thats what I ment. :p I know nothing about shoes anyways. lol.
Don't worry, neither do I. Lol. When the farrier comes I just sit and stare at him and say, "What's that for?" "What's that called?" Haha. :]
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! I do the same. I cant just watch :p

So what the difference between like open in the back and eggbar.. like support wise..??

Thanks for the good thoughts btw :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Eggbar shoes are only curing a symptom and not the cause! A backed up toe, raised heels and a bar shoe are kind of the standard treatment for navicular problems. It sort of works for a while by altering the pressure within the foot.
But in reality they put more pressure on the navicular area because the ungular(lateral) cartilages can´t move indepently under load and distribute the pressure. This treatment if it works will lead to more problems down the road. A healthy barefoot hoof that functions correctly is the best prevention for such problems!http://www.holistic-hoof-and-horsecare.com/

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Chance got her shoes on. There was an immediate improvement! Even in her trot, she would put her head down and actually relax!! :D

I know it may not be a forever fix but so far its doing good for her!

I wish there was some good barefoot trimmers down here because I would choose that over shoes anyday.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think going barefoot no matter how good the farrier wouldn't help her problem though I think the eggbar shoes are the best idea hope she keeps on improving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Eggbar shoes are ment for hind feets, not fronts. They are more egg shapped.
Regular bar shoes are ment for fronts. They are regular shoes with a bar over the heel area. Dont want to scare you, but such a drastic change deon bare to shod with a wedge can cause her to tear a tendon, if shes sensative. It has happened before to my horse. My mare went well in wedge+bars for a few years, then they stopped working as her navicular got worse. Wedges just jack up the heel and its like wearing high heels all the time. Its ok for short term support, but not long term.

You need to be talking to your farrier as much as your vet about the issue. In my expereince farriers actually know more about hoof shape and shoeing than vets, so I always consult with my farrier.

If you have an eggbar on I would suggest having her in bell boots, otherwise shes likely to rip her shoes off.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Well Chance got her shoes on. There was an immediate improvement! Even in her trot, she would put her head down and actually relax!! :D
Wow! That sounds promising!

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Well Chance got her shoes on. There was an immediate improvement! Even in her trot, she would put her head down and actually relax!! :D ....
I wish there was some good barefoot trimmers down here because I would choose that over shoes anyday.
Yes, taking her heels further out of commission does generally make the horse more comfortable. That's why that sort of thing is general practice. But, as no doubt you've learned, it is only a short term 'fix' & the horse will get progressively worse, need progressively bigger wedges, etc until it no longer works to relieve her pain.

I'm interested in your last comment above, which indicates you may have looked into this but don't feel confident enough or have close professional support to go that route? Of course, you need to do what you think best. IME this is definitely the best treatment and is not purely palliative. I've taken horses from the knackery yard, lame with massive wedges to low, strong heels myself, but have never seen a horse improve(except temporarily, palliatively) under conventional treatment. Have you tried using boots & pads to get her comfortably making heel first impacts? Perhaps now you don't have to worry about her being in pain for the time being, you can look further into finding alternative help.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Dont want to scare you, but such a drastic change deon bare to shod with a wedge can cause her to tear a tendon,
It's not just about drastic changes. Regardless of how quickly or gradually it's done, forcing the horse onto it's toes, causes both the ddft & digital extensor tendon(up the front) to be under strain on every impact(along with bones & joints). It also appears that the ddft rubbing against the navicular bone in this state is what causes damage to the tendon & subsequently to the nav. bone. Even a low-heeled, barefoot horse will tippy-toe & subject itself to this damage if it's digital cushions/heels are too weak to support it. That's why(well, one big reason) it's very important to protect & support a horse's feet with boots & pads where necessary, to allow comfortable heel-first landing.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I rode her today. She did very well, best shes felt in a LONG time. W/t/c no problems. Except a few bucks but once I told her that wasn't going to happen, everything came right along and was great!

I did notice that she DOES land toe first now which made me unsure. But she is sound enough to be worked and to possibly find another option. Both vet and farrier were for egg bar shoes, and they did suggest bell boots so im going out tomorrow to get them. :) Not sure what size she needs.. Shes almost pony size when it comes to leg things hmm...

In the next week im going to call my vet anyways to get her retested for lyme, and have her check Chance out once more to find out what is a long term fix.

My farrier said to go ahead and just get her right back into work and for 2-3 days have some bute and then everything should hopefully fix its self.

But if anyone wants to find a good barefoot trimmer in maine, please go ahead and do a search!

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing I am not comfortable with is riding a buted horse, when I know they would other wise be uncomfortable or in pain without it. Especially if riding doesnt work out the kinks or stiffness.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its not that shes uncomfortable it just helps with the inflammation she MAY have.

Both vet and farrier wanted me to just start working it cause they want the blood to get moving to her legs and such so she doesn't get stiff and what not.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
I did notice that she DOES land toe first now which made me unsure. But she is sound enough to be worked and to possibly find another option. Both vet and farrier were for egg bar shoes,
Yes, many vets & conventionally trained farriers still generally advocate this approach, because it is an effective(if temporary) palliative measure for a 'disease' that is still frequently considered 'incureable' and a bit of a mystery. Good for you - well, for your horse - that you are willing to look into it further & consider other options. At the end of the day, while I'm personally sure of my opinions on this and have the experience to back it up, I'm still only one more opinion, as are others here, so I wouldn't expect you to just take anyone's word for it - vets & farriers included, but the best you can do for your horse is to do as much research into the different methods & the principles that ground them as possible & then make your own decision about what you think best.

My farrier said to go ahead and just get her right back into work and for 2-3 days have some bute and then everything should hopefully fix its self.
We are talking navicular aren't we? Perhaps I'm on the wrong track altogether. This treatment is purely palliative - won't fix anything, just relieve her pain to some degree until the underlying problems become worse. My major concern with 'tippy toeing' & 'just getting her working' in this situation is that she is now placing even greater strain on the laminae, tendons, bones & joints(including nav. bone & joint), because there is way of absorbing shock & distributing the load when the coffin bone is being driven point-first towards the ground. It is common for mechanical founder & chronic arthritis to be the ultimate 'killer' of 'navicular' horses, due to this.

But if anyone wants to find a good barefoot trimmer in maine, please go ahead and do a search!
Um, it's up to you to do a search. But we can offer suggestions. Getting onto the American Association of Natural Hoofcare Practitioners(think that's their title - I'm in Oz), asking at hoofrehab.com or at Barefoot for Soundness should get you someone *good & experienced* in your realm that can help.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We actually aren't talking navicular at all. SHe just has some roughaging ON her navicular bone. The bute is suppose to be helping the possible inflammation in the bersa?

Ill take a look at the link you posted.

If I can get Chance barefoot again, and sound that would be amazing .. seeing that her shoes cost me $155!!!!!! lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.