The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there threads and references to this, but I can't find the answer to my question and don't want to dig up or hijack another thread.

My mare longes off-line and is very responsive, but when she changes direction she turns away from me. What I have read indicates she should be turning toward me - is this correct? If so, how may I retrain her to do so? Do I need to put her back on the line and start her at a walk?

PS: I meant to put this in the training section - admin please move if need be.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
My mare changes towards me on one rein, and away from me on the other ;)

I would say providing
a) She does it as soon as you ask
b) There is no threatning behaviour with the hind legs/tail

Let her crack on. If she IS using her hind legs in displeasure as she's doing this, a nice thwack with a lunge whip and sending her forward till her brain is back between her ears generally works!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Moved to Training per request...

I'm trying to imagine what you say in my head and I have to say with no success. :) Are you saying she turns a butt to you and change? So the longe line just goes over the head? What you can try is to turn her head towards you and ask her to move the hinds away from you, then send in opposite direction.

I like the way CA approached it:

Reactions: mvinotime

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Sorry, I was trying to post a link, but can't get it to work.
Your horse was probably has always been allowed to turn with it's butt towards you in the past.
Try stopping the horse by stepping in front of its shoulder then taking a step back (releasing the pressure), and allowing the horse to turn towards you.
If he looks unsure, take the hand at his head and drive him in the direction you wish him to turn. Praise him when he does it correctly.
I'll keep trying to post the video. It's so much easier to understand if you can see someome doing it.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Are you lunging her in a roundpen?

Back when I had a roundpen to lunge in, my mare would ALWAYS turn away from me and, while she was always respectful, I would have preferred that she turn towards me.
I experimented a bit and discovered that I needed to step backwards a few steps, then ask for the turn.
If I stayed in the middle, since my mare knows that coming too close to the person lunging her is a huge no-no, I was apparently "too close" to her and causing her to turn out vs in. Once I started taking a step or two back, then asking for a turn, she started turning in towards me every time, no questions asked.
I figure that she was just trying to do the "right" thing and give me my space since she's been trained that humans command large bubbles and horses never ever go in those bubbles, especially at high speed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Flytobecat: you explained it pretty clearly - I think I understand. Would gladly watch the video though - send me the URL if you can't get the link to work.

@Wallaby: it is a round pen but it is pretty small, so that may be part of the issue. I could longe her on line in the arena though - that might work. It would give her a better opportunity to stretch out. I've never done it using a longe line before though...something new to learn this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
So sorry, I couldn't get the link to post the 1st time, and now I can't find it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Clinton Anderson has this walking away thing that gets his horses to turning into him. It works great for him. It takes me two days to get a green horse reversing good on a line. First of all the horse should be taught to stop well on voice command. The rest is easy. At the trot I take a step or to toward the front of the horse, I am actually cutting it off. I may have to pull it toward me to keep it from turning into the rail. At the same time I lead it in the direction I want it to go with my arm that is holding the line. I don't actually lead it but indicate which direction I want it to go by extending the arm. I say reverse as I approach the near side and encourage the horse to move away from me with the whip or stick. I would rathr pop short longe whip than use a stick because I don't like to be that close. At first the horse will probably overreact but it will soon get over it when it finds out what you want. Soon all I have to do is dip my head a little, sway to the front of the horse slightly and say reverse and it is going in the other direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.