The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just moved permanently from NC to central Florida. In NC my 2 middle age boarded boys were getting some pasture bermuda, some pasture fescue, a fair amount of hay, and feed. On my small FL property there are very nice large stands of Bahia in the pastures, but they spend their energy looking for tidbits that I suppose remind them of NC growth of some type or another. In the people yard is Bermuda and they love it. So what do I do? I dont want to starve them until they "get a taste" finally for Bahia, I dont want to feed them hay when there is all that good grass there and train them if they hold out they will get hay. But, it has only been a week since they got to FL. I tell myself maybe nature is telling them not to make a big difference in their diets too quickly. Any thoughts from experience or otherwise are greatly appreciated!
Oh, and is there a height at which grass becomes unattractive? Because of the above the Bahia is really growing tall, but mowing short doesnt seem to really increase their interest in it.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I have read that Bahia can become unpalatable when mature. I don't know if "mature" refers to height or age. If it were me, I'd let them into the people yard part-time, to try to gradually acclimate them to the Bahia while still giving them something they are used to. In general, I wouldn't want to switch pasture grass completely all at once if I could help it. I don't think that would be good for their health.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Mine came from TX. All Bermuda raised. They would stand at the fence and stare all day once they were here. If I put Bermuda hay they gorged so I ended up being hard hearted Harry and just let them stand there. I did mow to encourage new growth but that first year they even had bahaia hay to convince them they ate what was in front of them or didn't eat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, cutting the bahia (which I need to do anyway) and letting the bermuda in the people pasture be a reward for working.
Yes, standing at the fence and staring - it tugs at our emotions but cant give in all together with something that doesnt work with reality.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Bahia hay is not appealing. My horses love bahia grass but won't touch bahia hay.

As for bahia grass, if it has manure on it or under it, my horses won't eat it. Certain areas they just won't eat.

I've never had any horses refuse to eat Bahia. Most horses love it.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
But @4horses were they raised on something else entirely and had never, ever, ever, in the lives seen much less eaten any other type but what was in their pasture? Mine here (now) get a mix of bermuda, bahaia and seasonally - rye in the pasture. There is even centipede in some areas. The hay is any of those plus alfalfa or perennial peanut but not centipede. I can switch among those or even offer something different. But those that I brought here that had never been anywhere near bahaia weren't going for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.