The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does the vulva usually change color? My sister has been keeping a very close eye on her maiden mare, and has been taking pictures to track her progress. First I share of picture of Mommy to be before posting her lady parts :lol:

This was at the beginning of the month, her belly has been dropping lower recently. Her mother never really "dropped" before foaling so we don't really expect her to get the dropped look either. Her dam is on the other side of her :D
Horse Livestock Plant Pack animal Working animal

This picture was taken April 12
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Skin Close-up Nose Snout Hand

This was taken April 14
Nose Skin Close-up Snout Hand

A lot of color change in just 2 days, April 14 was her 320 day safe point

Her udder on April 15, but my sister is unable to test anything. Nothing but a drop or two when she gets ready to test her milk. But again, her mother didn't get a large udder and never gave anything until she was ready to pop baby out.
Skin Joint Close-up Nose Hand

Extra information:

She is 18 years old this year (that is how long it has been now since my sister last did a foal watch, and at that time, all we ever did was check for wax or dripping milk. So all these other foaling checks are new to us :wink:)

Her dam is 27 years old, been getting anxious suddenly over her daughter in the last two days. Their stalls at night are across from each other so they can still see each other, but her mother is suddenly calling over to her daughter at night.

Is she really close with her giggly butt (much more giggly than she has ever been in her chunckiest years), puffy relaxed vulva, constant tail flagging, and an overly attentive mother? Or is this one of those, hurry up and wait, just to keep my person sleepless for the next several weeks? :rofl:

At the barn she is boarded at, they have started a baby board making guesses on when she will foal :)

·
Banned
397 Posts
I'd say she's getting very close. But each mare is different, especially in maidens.
With Chanti she never waxed and didn't get her actual milk until Rebel was born but she was very restless, kept swinging her tail, and her vulva was very loose with just a slight bit of bleeding.

I'd say no longer than a week on your mare :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.