The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of changing my herds feed, to less expensive but same quality.

Currently all six of them get the proper amount of Dumour Equistages. I use to feed SafeChoice, but found Equistages is a couple of dollars cheaper but offers them same quality.

All my horses, with an exception of possibly one, are very easy keepers. (The one is a growing boy so his weight fluctuates.)

They graze all day and have free choice hay, along with getting grain twice daily.

It costs me 650 dollars to feed them for 10 weeks, while I can afford it, I would like the cost to be lower if I can get the same quality.

My two older mares do not work, except for an occasional ride, the minis are still in trusting mode so do not work, and my two boys do ground work until next spring one of them will go into riding (hopefully).

I'm not to worried about changing feed in winter, I don't see them dropping any weight.

Any thoughts on a new feed, or if I should just stay with what I have?

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Ijust did some math...$650 for 10 weeks is A LOT.
look into a ration balancer. My calculator says that would amount to$230 for 10 weeks.
TSC can order you Nutrena Empower Balance. Should be around$25 a bag. It's being fed at one lb per 1000lb horse. 4oz daily for the minis, a lb for each off the biggens, including the youngster. It covers all nutritional needs, gives needed protein, amino acids, probiotics, vitamins and minerals

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
yes, but you feed ONE lb per horse per day, and 4oz for the minis, so one bag lasts you roughly 8 days. Most horses do exceptional well on good hay and a RB, and need extra calories only when doing strenuous work.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I second the ration balancer. The price per bag is high (I pay $32 for 50# of Triple Crown 30% Supplement), but the price per feeding is exceptionally low ($0.64). I also like that I can add or subtract calories (via alfalfa pellets) as needed without risking shorting my horse on nutrition.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in other words it costs me more to feed them with grain that is less expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
pretty much, because you feed more...a "scoop" here and there adds up. Then look at the ingredients...... soybean hulls.... filler. alfalfa chopped... cheaper as hay. Beetpulp....is a fiber, not a grain, yet you're feeding "grain"' .Then the vit/ mins...in a " grain" there very low dissed, most grains you'll have to feed an absolute minimum of 3lbs to get all of them in correct amounts... maybe. A ration balancer gives your horse all the goodies without fillers, concentrated. Hence the low amount to be fed.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yep, you're better off thinking of grain in terms of cost per day rather than cost per bag. At $650 every 10 weeks, and counting the two minis together as half a horse, you're spending just over $2/day currently for each of them. Compare that to a ration balancer at $0.64/day.

They get the nutrition they need in a low NSC feed without extra calories, you pay less. It's a win all around :)

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
As I said above, TSC can order you Nutrena Empower Balance, they also should be able to get you Purina Enrich 32. Then,as verona said, Triple Crown 30% supplement, and, depending on your location, a bunch of others I'm not familiar with because they're rather local.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.