The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of a strange question, but I want a 100g blanket and have an extra 200g midweight - has anyone ever removed fill from a blanket? Seems like a fun experiment to potentially save a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
You could pickup a 100 gram blanket easier then trying to change fill. You'd probably degrade ,the water proofing in the process.

I personally would leave the extra 200 gram blanket as it is.

·
Super Moderator
14,720 Posts
WHY???

So, when I take my heavyweight blanket and lay it next to a lightweight 100 gr insulated blanket I see not a huge noticeable difference.
No extra puffy, no added height...nothing.
When I pick it up though I can "feel" a difference.
It is denseness of the insulation.
From lightweight, loosely spun fibers to very closely spun more threads per inch is what makes the blanket warmer, heavier and just warmer.
Kind of how the outer material of a blanket is if you buy 480, 600, 1200 or 1680 threads per inch the denser the stronger the material is...
Dense also = warmth factor.
I don't know how you would rip your insulation apart and take away and not destroy, just destroy what makes the blanket what it is.

To me if you don't want a 200 gr blanket, sell it and use the money to put toward a 100 gr lesser warmth factor blanket.
To open every seam, pull apart then lay down the lining and stitch it together to keep the insulation from shifting, pocketing...just to much work.

I hate it when my guys rip their blankets and I intentionally have to try to replace that stuffing correctly and keep it from shifting...talk about a sewing mess of stitches and lots of knots where nothing seems to go back together right...:frown_color:
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.