Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My palomino mare's muzzle changed from black in the summer like this:

burial etc. 121.jpg

To matching the rest of her coat during the winter and even showing a little snip I couldn't see in the summer, like this:

HoneyinNB.jpg

I'm sure this is normal and part of the summer to winter coat change, but is there a name for this?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Havana's muzzle goes from black in Summer to reddish brown in Winter. Confuses me sometimes...wish it would stay black.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't think there is a specific name for it, it is just a part of them growing the winter hair. Dobe does the same thing, black in the summer and white in the winter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know, I think her overall color is prettier in the summer (darker palomino), but I don't like the dark muzzle. The muzzle lightens in the winter, but so does the rest of her. I guess I just can't win, huh? LOL

I just thought there might be a name for a dark muzzle on a light horse since it seems common and there seems to be a name for every other possible mark on a horse's face - star, stripe, blaze, snip, etc. Oh well. Maybe I'll just come up with a name for it myself - I'll have to think about that for a while. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.