The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am really wanting to get a good leather saddle that is durable and very comfy while being acceptable for beginner level games/shows. The club I'm in no one has bling on their saddles, they just bring out their clean saddles.

I currently have a bear trap rancher saddle but is hard as a rock to sit in and the seat is slick hard leather so you slide about easily. Plus my seat is too big so I don't feel like I'm sitting proper in it. I took lessons in a barrel sadle and loved it. I'm so scared to buy a new saddle for fear it's gonna be a mistake.

What are your thoughts/suggestions for me? I don't have any problems buying used just not sure what to look for. I want a western saddle for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have you tried a "Seat Saver" pad for your saddle? Cashel makes a nice one and can take up some "extra" room in the seat if you need it. The Gel ones do great for the fleece ones can be hot. But its personal preference.

Saddle Seat Savers And Saddle Cushions ~ Synergist Saddles

Two words that dont go together very well when talking about saddles.......Cheap and good. Good used yes, cheap and good....no.
Otherwise a good used: Dakota, Alamo, Big Horn ( upper class styles), Billy Cook, Circle Y, American Saddlery, Tex Tan, Royal Kings (fair), Simcos (I did some work on a Simco, they arent bad saddles at all), HH saddlery (though they didnt get the best of reveiws) and etc. Of course fit for your horse is important. I am sure others will post more.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Since seat savers are alot cheaper than a saddle, give one a try first then go from there. You might be pleasantly suprised. I loved mine. You should be able to find a good used saddle for 400 dollars. You should be able to find a good used Dakota brand for about 375 to 450. granted they are in good condition.

Happy hunting.

Reactions: FoxRidgeRanch

·
Registered
552 Posts
AWESOME so I have a gal coming out to buy my current saddle for $400 and if I can save a couple hundred I might buy a lightly used billy cook, tex tan or circle Y :D:D
Yay, I think you will be happier with a better brand of saddle. They will hold up better. Be sure of fit, for no matter the brand they should still fit your horse well. :)

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
What's your price range? I just bought a good Tex Tan for $100 plus shipping off of ebay. This one is definitely more than lightly used, but in very workable shape. There were a number of other Tex Tans with much lighter wear going for $300ish if I recall. Good saddles. Also, browse your local craigslist ads. You can sometimes find good saddles for a reasonable price- it's better for the owners to get some money for them than having them sitting around the house ;) I also regularly see Circle Y available for under $500, and Simco for way less than that.

Also, what size seat are you needing? Since I just got my new saddle, I may be looking into selling my 15" Guffey barrel saddle... decent, comfy saddle, but I just can't seem to get my seat right in a barrel saddle! I haven't 100% decided to sell it, but PM me on the off chance that you're interested :wink:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I vote sticking with a barrel saddle. The fact that you've already discovered you like them just supports the secure seat, softer fenders and more reasonable weight. I definitely Lurv mine! ...and I've never turned a single barrel, lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here are a few I've found so far I'm watching or are unsure. Waiting for more pictures of some.

#1: (iffy one)
American Saddlery Barrel Saddle
16" seat
Needs new blevin? Buckles?
$200- Might just good and see for a spare saddle.

#2 Dakota Barrel Saddle
15.5" seat
7.5" Gullet
Asking $400

#3 Billy cook Barrel Saddle

#4 Billy Cook Show Saddle

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do yourself a favor, go to corrientesaddles.com and look at their barrel saddles...I have 2 ropers and 2 ranch saddles that have held up to some very hard use/1000s of cattle roped and hours ridden. My daughter just used her OWN $$ to buy herself a barrel saddle from them...she was riding my older roping saddle(bought in 2005 and still going strong).

Stay away from american saddlery and dakota saddles. If you decide on a Billy Cook, make sure it's one of the made in Oklahoma ones.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Take a look at corriente saddles. For your price range you can get a brand new saddle. I do not own one myself but have heard good reviews to the point I am going to get one of their wade trees for a spare as soon as I have the cash.

https://corrientesaddleco.com/

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Fox, I can't see the first 5 pics, just little boxes with an x. Can you repost? If the cantle on the barrel saddle is higher, it puts your hips/pelvis in a better position.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They don't have prices listed, that's scary. Usually means beyond my reach in price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Give them a call and talk to them. I talked to them a while back and none of their saddles were over 750.00. Most were between 600-700.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eva is SOLD! Wow I'm going to order a smooth out x rough out half breed light oil, with a black seat :D:D So excited, you guys have been awesome. If I really love this saddle I might buy another down the line with my Farm Logo on it for Parades and events :D Thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.