The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like the last Filly She looks cute and she is already partly started. I would look more into her, she looks really cute. And the other 2 well you will have to back them youself (Not sure if you have experence). At least with the third one she is alredy started...I'm not really sure what you were looking for exactly so thats just my input :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am leaning toward Buddy, I like him and his sire looks really nice. But you would have to go threw gelding him.

If not him then I am a softy for the rescue.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I vote the filly. I know you want a project, and maybe this one will be a smoother transition into the horse world, since she is already a little trained... I think she would be more fun.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Of the two you posted, I definitely vote the first one. There are just to many things that are odd looking with the second one. Don't like him at all. What is it you are wanting to do with your horse?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I agree that if you don't have experience saddle-breaking colts the filly deserves a good look. She's pretty nicely built, from what I can see in the picture. I'd personally want to see her hocks a little better, with her standing square on level ground, the right hind looks to me like she might be a bit sickle-hocked, but that could easily be the way she's standing on the icy ground.

Of the two colts, I have to say that the palomino (Buddy) strikes my eye a little better than the buckskin (Booger - Love the name, BTW :D, lol). The palomino looks a bit more proportional, and less butt-high than the buckskin. Again, I'd like to see better pictures of them to judge much specifically. Both look like they could be good horses, but its hard for me to say much from the angles that the pics show of them. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but there's no substitute for seeing a prospect in person. :wink:

Glad to hear that the search is turning up some good prospects for you, and I can't wait to hear what more experienced critiquers say about these guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have a trainer to help you with either of these youngsters? I vote go see the filly but have her vetted as she is being sold as is. Don't get in over your head! :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I like buddy alot. He is avery good looking guy from what I can tell. I like how big butted he is as well. He's also got a thick chest and nice legs. His daddy is beautiful as well.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Buddy has a short thick neck, making it harder for him to put his head down and go western pleasure. If you're actually going for REAL western pleasure, and not 'lets go ride around on the trail' pleasure. He looks over at the knee. It makes me highly suspicious that there's not side shot of him.

Booger, compared to Buddy, is a better candidate who is more balanced and lighter in the neck.

Copenhagen, I wouldn't waste my time to be honest. 'Sold as is, cash only' ... Suspicious. HIGHLY suspicious. She has a really heavy front end, and it's going to be hard to get to to do western pleasure.

You're in Oklahoma. It shouldn't be that hard to find a nice pleasure prospect. You might have to fork out a little more, but in the end it'll pay off for you much more.

Cute Buckskin Paint

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm leaning towards Buddy myself. I have a lady that I know really well that is always eager to help me train and in this case, start a horse. Its a learning experience for me but I think that's not in over my head seeing as I have a great teacher.

I am planning on doing some lower-end WP and maybe some halter, we'd just have to see where the horse goes in training. I could always fall back on barrels/rodeo, but I'd much rather be in the show world.

To the above: I'm in Arkansas. But I do have family over by the farm where the two youngsters are so that's why I'm broadening my search. I've already stated in a former post that I'm not willing to spend $750. IMO, Buddy is pretty good for a cheap price. I'm talking to the owners and they're even saying that they'd sell him cheaper if we'd show/advertise under their farm name. We'll see.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I find it very disconcerting that they have pictures of both colts at angles so that you really cannot see anything about how they are built. They say their angles are good and their legs are straight but from the pix, you have to take them at their word. I would personally lean toward the filly but I agree with PaintsPwn, the whole as-is/cash only thing waves red flags to me. However, having a horse with papers would open many more show opportunities even on the lower levels. What kind of horse do you really want? Do you want an unstarted yearling or 2 year old or are you looking for something that is maybe already green broke?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like Buddy. But make sure he isn't over in the knees. Picture may be deceptive.

He's really cute, and built well. He has a nice eye and cute head.

My 2nd choice would be the buckskin colt, but he doesn't really do much for me. The filly doesn't have much going for her in the looks department, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Out of those three, the last one is my favorite. The other two do not look as well kept. Also, the last horse has the best conformation out of the three plus she is already started. The picture also shows better training as she is able to stand on her own, the people in the other pictures are having to hold their horses pretty tightly and don't look extremely experienced with ground handling. And as a bonus, she is $100 cheaper! If I were you, I would look into that filly more before you decide. Whatever horse you choose, I would recommend a vet check because occasionally horses priced that low can have underlying issues the owner does not want to reveal (the filly's ad saying 'as is cash only' makes me want to investigate a little further).

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
I agree with the filly votes because she's started, but out of the three, I like the buckskin's look the best...I'm a sucker for a nice looking hind end. The non-confo angled shots are a little wierd though, like smrobs mentioned.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've already stated in a former post that I'm not willing to spend $750.
Well I'm sorry but I abandoned that messy thread after I left my critique. However, you do need to consider that the colt may end up costing you $750 if something goes wrong, or you may be out $400 if he doesn't stay sound.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the filly since she is already started and you can get working with her right away. Red flags do go up anytime an ad says being sold as is, and if you click on the link to her original equinenow.com ad and then click on Mckinney Ranch you can see these people have sold another horses for alot more money which makes me want me to believe her story of she was rescue project. Or this filly could have something interesting going on, just remember always go look in person and always do a pre-purchase vet exam. I like the colt buddy also, his conformation looks decent but I would request better photos and ask for them in daylight. The angle could be very deceiving.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You need better pictures of the two stud colts to judge between them. I kind of liked the buckskin better but the pictures of him were a little better. I wouldn't look twice at the filly. One, she is started and you don't know how well and two, because grade mares are not worth much even if they are trained so you would have a cheap horse forever. If you get a good start on either of the other horses you could sell it and buy something nicer if you wanted. They will increase rapidly in value as you get them trained and some miles on them. A guy told me once that if the only thing you see in a horse is that it's cheap then that's all anybody else will see in it too. I don't buy horses unless I would be happy owning them for the rest of thier lives. Many times I have bought and sold horses and the ones I wouldn't mind keeping are the ones that I make good money on. The ones I buy because they are cheap I am lucky to break even on.

Over all I like the selection on this thread much better than the last one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.