The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a cheap young horse to start into western pleasure and to get me into the show world as a project. I'm not expecting the best quality (my price limit is around $400) but I would like something a bit above average that won't fall apart on me. After all, I can always fit a little on the horse. So, what do you think of this guy? I think he may mature nicely, though he does have a wormy-like belly or at least a hay belly.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Remember you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you want a serious show prospect, you need to shell out a few more bucks. Showing is expensive, and so you might as well spend as much money as you can to make your showing partner be a serious contender. Now, that also depends on what type of showing you're talking about. Big shows, fun shows, what? If you just want to do fun shows, he'll be fine, most horses would. But western pleasure is a serious game. It's all about the way the horse looks and moves, not like barrels, where the quickest time wins, no matter if the horse looks like a donkey. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
286 Posts
He doesn't scream western pleasure to me. He looks more like a trail horse, but that's just my opinion. Other people may disagree. I think you could find a much better prospect with maybe a little more money.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Maybe for around $800. I completely understand the "can afford care", and the "can't afford expensive horse" thing. i think if you shop around you could find an ok one. Do you have experiance breaking and training? I think what you should look for is:
~WP-like movement
~good temperment
~good confo
~probably a registered QH,Appy,or APHA, since the WP world is mostly those breeds, unless you do Arab WP.
Good Luck!

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
But you cant afford to pay more then $400 for a horse... LOL
sorry for double posting, but......

that is SO rude sillybunny. I can't beleive how rude that was. Laughing because she can't afford a $50,000 WP horse?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ok...in the first photo the right ankle looks odd to me but it could just be the angle. In the last photo his ankles just look really long and low to me like he has weak structure in the lower leg.

Pretty colors but as another said he doesn't really strike me as a show horse.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
NO im laughing at her reasoning. Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

The MOST expensive part of horse care is paying for board ect. The cheepest part of horses is buying the horse. So, if you cant afford to pay more then a few hundred on a horse you need to reassess the situation.

His pasterns are way too long. If he was a weanling/yearling that might be ok, but hes already two.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, sillybunny, I'm offended.
I just don't want to wait that long and save up all that money if its just going to be a for fun experience thing. I'm 16, give me a break. It's a project.

I have helped start a few horses with a trainer in my area and she has agree to work with me and the horse. It's a learning experience.

·
Registered
868 Posts
His pasterns are way too long. If he was a weanling/yearling that might be ok, but hes already two.

Pasterns! DUH thats the word my brain couldn't find at 11pm.

I think a project is fine but don't rush into it. You can always just shell a little more as you look. I think taking time to find a sound horse and one who's conformation will support the kind of riding you want to do is important to keep in mind :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just don't want to wait that long and save up all that money if its just going to be a for fun experience thing. I'm 16, give me a break. It's a project.
If you want an fun experience ride someone elses horse, I usually find alot of people on craigslist looking for riders. If you go the cheep route, it usually ends up costing you more in vet fees, and training fees. It will be harder to resell this horse in today's market. And since your only 16, its really not your call (in the end), its your parents', because unless you are emancipated they are going to be stuck with all the bills for this horse if you loose your job, or loose interest and cant sell it.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
NO im laughing at her reasoning. Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

The MOST expensive part of horse care is paying for board ect. The cheepest part of horses is buying the horse. So, if you cant afford to pay more then a few hundred on a horse you need to reassess the situation.

I have to disagree with the price thing. I don't think a $50,000 dollar horse is cheaper than boarding etc. board here is $300 to $400 a month. So, with that taken care of, if the horse has an injury that needs vet care, that expensive, but not usually $50,000. Plu, she can afford the upkeep(from what ive read), but can't afford to shell out big bucks all at once.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm not saying that board is different for horses who cost different amounts...

I'm saying costs in the long run will probably be higher, because there is a reason this horse is so cheep. He might need training, he might have a medical issue ect.

Go to an auction and see what kind of quality of horse you get for that price.
Yes sometimes you can get a bargin but it is very very rare. With today's market people are trying to sell a horse for as much as they think they can get.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.