The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are the best stores, online or physical, to buy Western tack for a low price? (High quality tack)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Where are the best stores, online or physical, to buy Western tack for a low price? (High quality tack)
My experience is that low price and high quality don't usually go together.

That said, I'll be interested in seeing peoples suggestions for online options - sometimes I'm surprised. ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I like chicks discount saddlery, and horse.com, smith brothers when they have sales. Depending upon what your looking to buy. When I buy leather goods I always opt for harness leather and have had good luck with all the items I have gotten from those two places. If your looking for saddles buy local so you can sit in it and make sure it fits your horse correctly. Saddle pads, girths, splint boots, bits are things that I buy on line as well from the above mentioned sites and had good luck.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Quality and cheap don't go together unfortunately. :wink: Unless you are very lucky (I've been several time, although on english tack). Your best bet would be used items: you can find a real deal sometime.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
^Second the above. Buy used, if you're looking for both cheap and high quality.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
You cab buy used off eBay, craigslist, or even here. Better to shell out some extra money and have tack that nit only looks good and fits good but also lasts.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
We also need to know what you mean by 'cheap'. I consider anything under $500 to be a real steal. If you're looking for quality tack for $100-$200, you're out of luck. Even used, good quality tack will command a decent price.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
We also need to know what you mean by 'cheap'. I consider anything under $500 to be a real steal. If you're looking for quality tack for $100-$200, you're out of luck. Even used, good quality tack will command a decent price.
*shrug* I just bought a decent Guffey barrel saddle for $200. Granted, I had been casually looking for something with the right price for awhile. You regularly see decent older Simcos going for a similar price.

If you are looking for something good and in that price range though, be prepared to look hard and wait for the right deal.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Old, out of fashion saddles will sell for a lot less, yes. But newer quality tack isn't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
It's a little different in the western world. Here, you can find good quality tack new for less than $100...if you know where to look:wink:, but you won't find flashy new tack for that price.

All of my tack is really good quality and, except for my saddle, it was all less than $100; bridles, breast collars, saddle pads, reins, bits, everything.

However, all my tack is very utilitarian. No silver, no bling, just a working girl's tack

Bridle:
Cowhand Quick Change Series - 3/4" Tied Browband Western Horse Headstall

Reins:
Waterloop Split Rein 3/4" x 8'

Bit:
257604- Partrade Antique Low Port Hinged Futurity Bit

Breast collar:
Pulling Collar Pecan by Saddlesmith No Tooling Western Saddle Rodeo Western Tack | eBay

Saddle pad: (not what's pictured on my gray, but I do have this and they are great working quality)
Diamond Wool Contour Felt Ranch Pad - Horse.com

OP, the trick is being able to spot quality, either hands on or through a picture on the internet. Once you develop a good eye, you can look at the ad on the website and know whether it's good quality for the price or not. Like this. Looks flashy and "expensive" and sounds nice from the description, but it's crap quality and you'll be lucky to get a year out of it...if you can use it that long without the saddle soring your horse.
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Double T Ponderosa Trail Saddle Package

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Honestly, if you don't need tack in quantity, I would buy:
A good quality Western saddle, don't try to go cheap bc you won't have to buy another one.
Less expensive bridle and reins bc the best horse can break cheap bridle/reins or expensive bridle/reins without batting an eye.
A good quality pad.
Two good quality cinches and 3 good quality latigos, so that you'll have one to spare.
That being said, I have been shopping at State Line Tack, Chick's and Horseloverz for many years. They all sell name brand products, and you can talk to customer service about returns, which you cannot do with an EBay or Craig's list purchase.
LEARN TO TAKE CARE OF AND TO CHECK YOUR TACK BEFORE RIDING!! Everyone here has their own favorite products, but I clean and oil my tack, and can check for leather cracks, etc. while I do this.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
"it was all less than $100; bridles, breast collars, saddle pads, reins, bits" - yes, totally agree. Both my trail riding bridles are western because it was good quality AND cheap (although I've been lucky enough to get my dressage bridles very cheap too). And some very nice english pads and bits can be way under $100. I think people (at least I for sure) are talking saddles here, not other tack. Good quality saddle (even old one) is not all that cheap unless you run into the deal (you catch and run :D ).

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I have yet to see a buyer check out a saddle thoroughly. I mean, look at the quality of how the skirts are attached. Nails or staples should be blued so there's no chemical reaction. Check the thickness of the stirrup leathers the full length, both the front edge and the rear edge. Is it of uniform thickness? What is the tree made of. Check the stitching. It should be recessed into a groove so that fender rubs don't break the thread. In order to make a cheaper saddle, corners are cut and it's often the hardware, not stitching groove, cheap hardware, etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
greenrivertack.com has a lot of good deals, but you have to know what is quality and what is not or do you research on certain brands and products before buying! I have ordered from them many times and have been satisfied!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have yet to see a buyer check out a saddle thoroughly. I mean, look at the quality of how the skirts are attached. Nails or staples should be blued so there's no chemical reaction. Check the thickness of the stirrup leathers the full length, both the front edge and the rear edge. Is it of uniform thickness? What is the tree made of. Check the stitching. It should be recessed into a groove so that fender rubs don't break the thread. In order to make a cheaper saddle, corners are cut and it's often the hardware, not stitching groove, cheap hardware, etc.
This. My barn manager often talks about the time that she was riding in her western saddle, and she decided to pop over a little bitty jump. Halfway into the jump the thick metal rigging ring broke. Not the latigo, girth, or stitching... the metal piece itself. Needless to say, the saddle went all kinds of ways and the horse went nuts. She has recently had her quality saddle stolen, so used this shoddily made one in a pinch. After this, I'm not willing to mess around with the really cruddy stuff!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.